The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Smile 
Absolutely.

It is an assisted pedal bike, NOT a motorised bike.   It just shifts the effort from wearing yourself out slogging up a hill, to wearing yourself out maintaing a higher overall speed - unless you don't want excercise, that is.

So makes a 40 mile ride more civilised, particularly at the end, if you live on a hill.
Smile
Since bicycles are being mentioned, this Thursday 9th April, is the centenary of Sir Alec Moulton's birth. Inevitable there will be no gatherings at Bradford on Avon, but Moulton Bike Club want to encourage as many people as possible around the earth to get out their F frame or space frame Moulton, if only to ride it round the block or even just up and down the drive. Photos can be swapped, and for them as understands the socialmeeja you are encouraged to contribute to the Facebook thingy; Facebook > The Moulton Bicycle. If nothing else I will put down the luggage rack and hang a Moulton on the back of an immobile Ruby.
Nearly got to drive it on Sunday but a fuel issue stopped me. It would have been its first run since starting 10 years ago.
I took the fuel pump of and a lot of crud came out with the petrol so have blasted through everything and ordered a filter for the future.
Also not entirely sure if the pump are was located correctly against the cam, no damage to it and is in the right position for sure now so could be out this Friday but only very local as I don't want to get in trouble with the law.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

In my youth I had dealings with Sir Alec regarding car suspension systems and the like. Amazing chap. The garages at Bradford on Avon were worth a visit. Later on there was a vehicle dynamics consultancy set up there.
Alan Fairless
On Saturday evening, whilst shunting cars around in the drive, the Polo blotted its copybook by deranging its gear lever mechanism, so yesterday, little Leon and I went over to feed the horses in the Seven. I let Leon drive down the track to the road.

I should explain that the track consists of a more or less level piece, followed by a 1 in 5 hill ( downwards) with two hairpins on it and then a further straight of about 300 yards or so to the road. The hill was negotiated in second using the brakes and, when we got to the bottom, I suggested he select third. Ignoring my advice as to double declutching, Leon simply changed from second to third in one swift movement and a 'snick' noise from the box, reminiscent of the way one changes gear in a T35. He didn't attempt a downward change and we stopped at the end still in third gear.

There are two ways over to Llangynog, one slightly longer than the other via Llyn Efyrnwy and this was the route we took back, as the police were flitting about on the B4391, my more usual route and I wasn't in the mood for tedious explanations as to why we were doing essential animal husbandry in a pre-war car.

I had forgotten just how steep the climb is from the lake up to the top of Foel Goch, which involved a 3 mile second gear climb. About 50 yards from the top, the RP stopped with vapour lock problems in the fuel pump! After about 15 minutes it was going again and we decended along Cwm Hirnant to Rhosygwaliau and thence home.

Leon drove up the track quite confidently and then, unbidden, did another second to third change exactly like the first! Obviously beginners luck. Just wait till I get him to try a downward change! Now he has suggested that I leave him the car in my Will!!!

And for those who may be interested, the Polo's gearchange mechanism is now arranged again.
Hi David Stepney. 

Has your car got the RN pre synchro gearbox? When my RP was fitted with the early synchro box I never double declutched for 1st to 2nd but the delay in nuetral varied depending on how hot the oil. On constant mesh or synchro boxes with failed synchro the quick change technique is unlikely to be harmful as all the constant mesh teeth engage at once so there is little risk of burring and chipping.
Hi, Bob.

My car has the all crash 'silent third' 4 speed box. My car was built in June '33. and the synchro box wasn't introduced until late August.

David.

.jpg   FB_IMG_1586200470609.jpg (Size: 38.96 KB / Downloads: 308)
I'm trying to decide which of these two to drive to work tomorrow.  The ORT on the right is running sweetly.  The Speedex has no floor, no brakes and the engine is on the bench, but I don't have to drive very far...
(06-04-2020, 07:50 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: I wholeheartedly  agree with the "sit up and beg" upright style of cycling. What's more it should be on a bow-frame Dutch "Ooma" ( Grandmother) model,28' wheels, 3-speed Sturmey Archer, much used by District Nurses. Basket optional, rear carrier essential.

Here is a proper Dutch 'omafiets' (granny bike) just back from a shopping trip. No gears, no handlebar or front-wheel brakes, and back-pedal rear brakes. Definitely challenging to ride on British roads!

[Image: GrannyBike.jpg]
Re minors "driving" .Many, many years ago in the manner of the time I boarded privately for a while. The landlady had an 11 year old daughter and no car. I drove them one weekend to vist a country relation. There was nothing for me or the little girl to do so I drove witht her to view  a local historical site (whaling station with pot as used to cook missionaries)  and to while away the time got her to "drive" very slowly back (With access to all the brakes, instant steering,  and everything within reach Sevens are ideal for such antics.) All went well until she turned in the gateway and ommitted to unravel the steering. The doorhandle caught on the gate and was ripped off the car! I managed to fix the car but I often wonder if the owner was ever told how his gate got dameged.