The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
On Friday I overhauled the starting handle system.
Mine is the early coil design which leaves something to be desired. It uses a sort of dog coupling which, when worn, tends to throw the handle out of mesh when turning the engine. The later peg type is much better. I changed the front crankshaft bolt which is half of the coupling and refaced the handle part. The original system for holding the handle horizontal is long gone. The replacement consists of a bronze bush with a slot in it into which a peg on the shaft fits. This was also worn and I deepened the slot so that it now works correctly.
Yesterday I took the car into Galashiels for petrol and M&S Food.
Driving the Seven in The Borders is a pleasure. The roads suit the car perfectly. Also the population is low, 115,100 for a huge chunk of South-East Scotland. Towns are: Galashiels: 14,994, Hawick: 14,294, Peebles: 8,376, Selkirk: 5,784, Kelso: 5,639.
Shopping is easy with no crowding. The queues I read about just don't happen here. M&S was quiet, the shops in Melrose also. No problem buying supplies. Co-op had no milk or porridge oats but the convenience store had them.
I have use of a garage on the other side of Melrose where I have been keeping the Austin. Today I took my Citroen SM, which was here at my house, to get petrol and exercise it. A drive over the hill to Lauder and back along the A68 in beautiful sun. About 25 miles to get it freed up after very little use.
Put away in the other garage and return home in the Austin.
Jim

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by AustinWood - 22-03-2020, 03:34 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM