The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
As one of the trio of 2CVs that triumphantly completed the Clee Hills Trial, the Citroen is the only beast in the stable to have had any competition use this year. Everyone with a Halfords Discount card will this afternoon have received an email from Colnbrook stating that there will be no motorsport until the end of April, at the earliest.
Took the RP saloon to attend a funeral in Wrexham today, picking up another friend on the way. This is the fourth funeral that i have been obliged to attend in less than twelve months, although on this occasion, it was someone rather older than me, the other three being on the demise of friends young enough to have been my offspring. I used it to to to Llangollen last Friday and have therefore covered the best part of 160miles in the last few days. Checked the oil level when I got back this evening and it required just 1/2 pint to restore the level.

I am therefore very interested in the fact that Steve Kay has got his engine oil-tight. When i had my engine to bits last autumn I set out to cure the oil leak from the near-side rear of the block to crankcase joint. Thought that i had cured it when I found that the rearmost block to crankcase stud in the tappet chest had stripped in the crankcase. So it was duly helicoiled and new gasket, judiciously smeared with black silicon gasket cement installed. All was well for the first 200 miles or so, but gradually the engine has developed a leak at the same corner. It's not nearly so bad, I can live with an oil consumption of better than 300 miles per pint, but I suspect that the leakage is due to two factors: (1) I am not convinced that the coreplug over the top of the oil pump drive is completely flush with the top of the crankcase; it had a slightly 'bruised' look when the block was off and (2) my car, being a mid-1933 example, has the crankcase firmly bolted to the chassis.

i am aware that there has been some discussion on this forum about the advisability of (or otherwise) of doing all four engine mounting bolts up tight, But I have worked on the basis that the handling of the comparatively flimsy chassis depends on it being as rigid as possible between the front axle and the steering box, the crankcase does much to stiffen things up. Given that, for a box saloon, my car behaves itself very well on the road, on balance, I think that that good road manners is worth the odd half pint of oil in the engine.

Ruby engines are, of course, mounted on rubber feet which relieves the stresses  imposed on the crankcase by the chassis to some extent, and I sincerely hope that, after all the work in getting the engine  continent, it remains so. But I wonder how long it will be before the engine starts to weep oil again. or am i just being a pessimistic old B***?
Went into Manchester in the Seven yesterday, it's a great ego trip watching the Audis and BMWs in the rear view mirror trying to keep up. What did surprise me was how good the Seven's brakes are, twice I stopped for a red traffic light and twice a big modern shot through in the other lane after I'd stopped. Then the oncoming traffic set off, with most turning right from the OS lane then some loon in the NS lane turned right, the resulting chaos was most entertaining.
I am self-medicating against the Coronavirus Blues (what a great song that's gonna make...)

Took the Chummy out from hibernation and had a delightful tootle along the lanes for half an hour. Complete cure achieved. Try it for yourself!

David, your comment has only just threaded its way through Rhyader and Builth Wells to Abergavenny. When I have a few moments this evening I will compose a serious response, which I hope will be added to by more experienced owners in due course.
Nice photo Nick!
(18-03-2020, 05:50 PM)Steve kay Wrote: David, your comment has only just threaded its way through Rhyader and Builth Wells to Abergavenny. When I have a few moments this evening I will compose a serious response, which I hope will be added to by more experienced owners in due course.

Steve. I am aware that getting from Bala to Abergavenny is fraught with difficulties, as I have had to do it once or twice, but I had no idea that smilar problems beset electronic communication. I wonder if my post took the scenic route through Newtown and Llandod?

I look forward to your further post.
Lovely Spring day in North Yorkshire so I put on my flying jacket and hat and took the Ulster out for the first time this year.   Fired up instantly on its 6 month old petrol (Tesco Momentum) but took ages to warm up in the cold conditions.
First port of call was to take a paper for my 95 year old Mother then into Thirsk.  On almost deserted roads it was like Charlton Heston in Omega Man (you may need to use your imagination!).  Called at Lidl to get a jar of coffee, no chance, the whole coffee and tea isle had been stripped bare.  Back home to Boltby by which time the engine had warmed up.  Decided to go for a drive.   Shot up the 1 in 4 Sneck Yat on the high Andes ratio 2nd gear, including the s-bends at the top, then a high speed blast along the dead straight Drove road to the top of Sutton Bank, past the Gliding Club and down the tortuous White Horse Bank into Kilburn.  Got a bit carried away climbing out of the village, accelerating in top gear.
Through Bagby almost into Thirsk then back home. Brilliant!
The only car that appeared in my rear view mirror on the A170 near Thirsk was a modern metallic green Aston Martin.  There were a few women on horses out and about and retired couples walking, but virtually no traffic.
I might repeat the exercise daily.
Great stuff Malcolm. Brought me back happy memories of recent 'Yorkshire Experience' runs on those very roads.  One of the finest views in England from Sutton Bank!
It sounds as if you had a good time, Malcolm. All I have managed to do carwise is to vacuum out the Polo and the Seven. polish all the internal fittings and put the dog blankets in the wash. I was going to wash the cars too, but by 5 o'clock it was getting distinctly chilly. So I took the Seven down to Bala to stock up with a loaf of bread, a bottle of scotch and a bottle of Italian red wine. Got to get the priorities right!