The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I took the 1931 saloon out this morning to our local vintage car meeting near Richmond.   Very pleasant 60 mile run and the car felt very lively, perhaps the strong wind was behind me!
Jim, I am organising a run from Masham in N. Yorkshire to Grange over Sands in Cumbria on 26/27th May.    If you send me an email I will forward the details.
In the process of tidying up the RP I removed the rear seat cushion and back - only to find that the woodworm have been having an extended lunch...

So off I toddled to the local B&Q/Wickes/Screwfix, where I could only buy a far larger tin of woodworm treatment than I need. Ended up in The Range and searched in vain for some. Eventually I collared one of the children allegedly working in the place. 

'Please could you tell me where I can find woodworm treatment?' I asked. 

If I had asked him to describe the physics of nuclear fusion he could not have looked more vacant. Without a word he scuttled down the aisle to a co-worker. 

'Oi, John, 'ave we got any wood, er, woodwer, er, woody - er, what was it again mate?  

'Woodworm Treatment'.

The co-worker looked at me as if I had come from another planet. 'Woodworm? Wassat then? Some kind of animal? Have to you looked in the pet section?'

'No, it's a worm that eats wood - puts little holes in it.'

His eyes widened. 'Blimey, never 'eard of it. Nah, we ain't got nuffink like that'

I am left wondering what they teach children these days or if I am now officially Very Very Old. Hey ho.
Requiring, recently, soda crystals at our local supermarket, I enquired of a young assistant where I might find them. His reply was whether I required the ordinary or the organic. As one who did first year chemistry at uni. I was a little nonplussed!
I've been visiting a friend in Macclesfield hospital for the last week and up to yesterday used the modern. The car parking procedure is park your car, visit my friend, then on leaving you go to one of two machines type in your registration number and up pops a photograph of your car with the parking charge due. Yesterday I decided to test this modern technology with a Seven having white numerals on a black plate, I typed in the registration number and sure enough no photograph popped up, just a range of charges, so I duly paid the correct amount. I've long suspected that technology can't read white numbers on a black plate since I was followed for about half a mile by a Police ANPR car. He didn't stop me for not having a MOT certificate when I should have had one and he wasn't in a hurry as he didn't pass me.
The ANPR camera at Sainsbury's shows your registration and tells you what time you have to leave by. I never get that message pop up in the ORT so I don't think the technology works that well. I  wouldn't risk it in a bus lane though, they have very good cameras (ahem)...
(14-03-2020, 10:27 AM)Nick Lettington Wrote: The ANPR camera at Sainsbury's shows your registration and tells you what time you have to leave by. I never get that message pop up in the ORT so I don't think the technology works that well. I  wouldn't risk it in a bus lane though, they have very good cameras (ahem)...
I think it was Clarkson who claimed that in Oxford at one point, it was less expensive to park illegally than to use a car park. So, in a rush to get to a business meeting? Use the bus lane and put the charge down to business expenses (or try Dave's number-plate opt out).
(14-03-2020, 11:20 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(14-03-2020, 10:27 AM)Nick Lettington Wrote: The ANPR camera at Sainsbury's shows your registration and tells you what time you have to leave by. I never get that message pop up in the ORT so I don't think the technology works that well. I  wouldn't risk it in a bus lane though, they have very good cameras (ahem)...
I think it was Clarkson who claimed that in Oxford at one point, it was less expensive to park illegally than to use a car park. So, in a rush to get to a business meeting? Use the bus lane and put the charge down to business expenses (or try Dave's number-plate opt out).

I like the last suggestion... Dave, what is the registration of your modern?
Nothing new there. Back in the 1960s when parking meters first became popular in London, one of our customers was a London publisher who claimed he never put money in to the meters, it was cheaper to pay for the occasional fine.
Bet he wouldn't fair so well today. There as a chap in the VSCC who bought an old taxi so he could use the bus / taxi lanes.
Wonder how London is doing now president Khan has extended the 20 mph zone.
(14-03-2020, 03:16 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: Wonder how London is doing now president Khan has extended the 20 mph zone.
 Haven't noticed an impact. 
The traffic was already slow and 20mph limits have been liberally scattered for years 

Charles