The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I would have gone to the garage to sort out a front wheel bearing on the RN, but its too wet. Been sorting out of the stock of tiny nuts and bolts for my steam loco build (7Ba and 8Ba) - don't need big spanners for those!
(03-03-2020, 09:16 PM)Nigel Ricardo Wrote: It's called Profile steel sheet

Known to those of us who used to specify the stuff as 'Wriggly Tin' Smile

Steve
Hi All

For my sins and in a previous life (well before retirement that is) I spent several years researching wriggly tin!

In particular it’s interaction with a concrete topping. Indentations pressed into the webs of the galvanised sheeting took the longitudinal shear force. The sheeting acted like the reinforcement in a normal slab but also as support for the concrete as it was poured.

At one time we were doing so many full size tests on the stuff that we moved out of the lab and to the university sports ground. I designed a trailer onto which was mounted the 150 tonne hydraulic test rig. The field centre became known by students by its acronym; Field And Research Testing Station ?.

Happy days, got me my PhD too.

Cheers

Howard
Hi Howard
Off Sevens, but corrugated iron is or more was very extensively used for roofing here, although most areas not especially suited, except little industrial pollution.  My grandfather came from England and was disgusted. In the Depression they spent a lot of time patching and he called it "fowl house work".   The new ribbed section is becoming popular and I was surprised that it apparently expensive. As with so many building materials the worry would be that it not a section standardised long term. Dunno about UK but extreme scaffolding rules have made all professional roof maintenance very expensive. I think even Tony's shed would have required scaffolding or barriers. We have universal Accident compo, including for income forever, and the state is determined to reduce opportunities and their bill.

Hi Bob 46320
The Seven wheel bearings are very adequately sized for car and should last forever. Most problems arise from years abandoned with water entry, or more commonly looseness in the hub, begun by the large race not being clamped. The old advice to pump hub full of grease is absurd. Curious to learn outcome
A good friend asked me to make some if that damned wrinkly tin. His wife wanted to extend her horse box by 4 feet. It was a real pain as no matter how carefully you mark out each fold and reverse fold any tiny deviation from the 81(IIRC) degree causes a cumulative error and by the time I'd got to the end of the 2.4m the finished piece was about 8mm too long. All the same he was happy with it and bashed it onto the existing section and with a trim strip it looked fine.
Never again!
Closing off the insurance dialogue from earlier in this thread, against my normal behaviour I persevered with RH Insurance and did get a quote out of them. It wasn't even vaguely competitive against either Hagerty or Peter S Taylor/Bishop Calway, who actually got the business.
This may not have been true if I was insuring a Ruby but for my blown Ulster the A7CA insurance scheme was a dead loss.

Charles
What have I done today with my Austin 7?

Pushed it out of the garage, took a photo or two, pushed it back again.

The work of a talented young lady from our village.
Happy birthday Simon!
Piece of Cake !
Yes. Happy 70th! I had mine a fortnight ago. 1950 was a good year!