The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
At last, got the C35A dynamo back in service, new brushes and new wire from the main commutator brush to + terminal. I think the cause of the problem was when this wire de-soldered itself from the terminal tag on the main brush. Splatters of melted solder found inside the dynamo. I think this shows the importance of having a crimped termination on this wire, also reduced the dynamo output from 10 amp (Which has been the output for years) back to 8 amps. Now waiting for some resistance wire from e-bay to make the field resistor (Bruce says 26swg ??). I believe that the original resistance wire was wrapped around the ignition light socket on the switch panel, but my switch panel has the remains of that wire but a shorting wire soldered across the summer settings switch, thus necessitating a resistance at the dynamo terminals. (1932 RN)

Sometime I need to replace the other braided wire from the other main brush to earth. I wondered if the screening off screened cable would be flexible enough ??

In my trawlings around the net to confirm that the field resistance for the summer setting should be between 3 - 5 ohms, I came across this firm in Lincoln doing dynamo reconditioning.
E I C S-products Ltd
Unit 19 Blackwood Court, Lincoln LN6 3AE

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by bob46320 - 27-01-2020, 04:01 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM