The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
The Tunbridge Wells Centre of the 750 Motor Club is very friendly and active.  Contact Mike Stone - fbuk@btconnect.com
Thanks!
A little gentle car maintenance today, putting a propshaft back on. The first photo shows that the propshaft is not from an Austin Seven. The second photo shows the Crossley to which it has been fitted going out for a test drive.

attachment=8052][

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I was planning to go out in the Austin for my birthday lunch yesterday but circumstances prevailed against me and I went in the Pembleton instead. My son appeared as I arrived with the 6 week old grandson  sporting this fine upper-lip tribute

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I love my grandkids. I have four of them. They give me pleasure every time I see them. Once when they arrive, and again when they go home...

I have to admit that I haven't done much with the RP since the run to Santiago. It waits patiently in the garage connected to the accumate for the day when I feel like a run. The weather's not been "reight good" (as they say in Yorkshire) for the past week or so. Lot of rain here but no flooding thankfully.
Having received the somewhat tatty headlamp reflector that i bought off ebay some weeks ago from Stuart Joseph, who has made a super job of refurbishing it, I have, after twelve months of ownership and talking about the conversion for almost as long, converted the RP to double dipping headlamps. The reflectors are not a pair, as the 'old' one on the nearside takes a 15BA double filament bulb and the newly refurbished one takes a 20BA Lucas Graves type bulb. Maddeningly, the lamps now dip at slightly different angles, which made setting them up quite fun. However, having found a nice quiet lane that was reasonably straight and flat (something of a rarity round here), I have managed to find a suitable compromise headlamp aim.

At least my dipped beam is now visible when modern cars come up behind me!

No photos, I'm afraid. Like cats, all Austin Sevens look grey in the dark!
I am somewhat surprised that no-one has posted on this thread since my last post over a week ago. I know that winter is almost upon us, but surely I can't be the only one still trundling around the countryside in a Seven these dark days.

The RP has been out and about for two consecutive days:-

On Sunday I had to go to Blaenau Ffestiniog to deliver some urgent paperwork. It being nice and sunny, if a bit cold and given that the seven had not been out for a week, I took the little car over the mountains.

Today, I had the sad duty to attend a friend's funeral at Chirk. There is a certain inevitability when one attends a funeral of friends who are of a similar vintage or older than oneself but is becomes especially poignant to attend the funeral of a friend who was young enough to be my son's generation. He was a keen motorcyclist but had battled bravely with ill health for several years, so we had a cadre of motorcycles to lead the hearse  with the Seven interposed between the cadre and the hearse as an honorary bike! No photos of today - that would be  a bit infra dig  but herewith photos of Sunday's outing:

Attached Files
.jpg   S026I001.JPG (Size: 97.05 KB / Downloads: 312)
.jpg   S026I004.JPG (Size: 79.42 KB / Downloads: 313)
.jpg   S026I007.JPG (Size: 138.13 KB / Downloads: 312)
.jpg   S026I008.JPG (Size: 140.44 KB / Downloads: 312)
I went for another test run, hoping it had cured itself, but no.

A day or two earlier, I was revving it as hard as I could in third, to see how many revs I was short of in top, which in top gear result in only 45 mph.

The next day, the engine sounds flat, and if I'm lucky i make it to 40 mph, which it won't hold on to.

I have tried a complete different dizzy, carb bowl, checked the butterfly and choke, changed the plugs.

Brakes are free.

All compressions the same at 100.

I suspect I have taken the edges off the top rings.

Any other ideas?   I can't drive around at 30 - 35 for long.
1. Are the tappets correctly adjusted?
2. Are you sure the ignition timing is right?
Just returned from the Bob Booth Pub Crawl, first day was a little wet especially with no hood or tonneau. Luckily the weather redeemed itself for the rest of the rally.

Pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DXSjDyJvvfDvRSow8
Cheers

Mark