The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Welcome to the Austin community, Ferg.

You have reminded me - I must do mine.   Probably did it 4 months ago and maybe 500 miles?   I don't count, these days.

It is a really good exercise, though - you get to know the car, and see things that need attending to before they get to be problems.

So worth doing a few times to familiarise yourself with the car.

Greasing also may be a problem in itself.   I have changed the nipples for modern ones, and use a modern gun.   Even then, the grease doesn't always emerge from where it should, and this may need following up.  

Pay particular attention to kingpins, best done with car jacked up and I use oil, rather than grease.

Oil from the nosepiece?  probably, on that sort of angle, though I think there may be a felt seal that is supposed to stop it, and check the sump isn't over full.

Not idling?   Check the linkages - are they properly down on the stops?   And whilst you are doing that, make sure the throttle closes quickly and without resistance.
Another new owner near me found that the rubber mat under the pedal was preventing the accelerator returning, and could have jammed it open.

Disconcerting in an unfamiliar vehicle.

Indicators - in fact, any electrics - run earth wires back to as close to the battery as you can get.   And, on a nice car like that, fit lights and switch without any additional holes if you can.

Keep asking the questions, and enjoy the Austin.

Cheers,   Simon

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by "Slack Alice" Simon - 21-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM