The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
That must have been quite a few years ago, Hedd. TH4219 still appears to have its Ruby wheels.

By the way, i have got to the bottom of the 'railway brakes'. They only protest if they get wet. although driving the car in the recent inclement conditions appears to be enough to upset them.
Hi Alan

Your lathe is so unusual and presumably now rare may interest many. Possibly time for a What Lathe Do You Have or somesuch post.

The radial engine used in Drummond adverts had 18 cyl, 4 valves per cyl 770cc, 15 bhp at 4000 rpm.  All made on round bed lathe!

It is remarkable how once expensive luxuries have become very reasonable. Today can buy a basic lathe screw cutting, gearbox, chuck and motor for less than a tradesmans weekly wage. Around 1930 a very basic lathe was more than a fortnight’s wage without chucks or motor

Any lathe is a great advance on none. I dont know how people accomplish anything without. True precison jobs may not be common but so handy for making jigs and things.
(02-10-2019, 09:32 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: [quote pid='35452' dateline='1570037628']

....except for the con-rod boring rig - one of which, of course, turned up a week later 

[/quote]

We'd all like a con rod boring jig for our lathes! 
Any one would be better than none (pretty sure that CVA never made one)

Charles

Bob, I bought it on a whim possibly 25 years ago, more as a garage ornament than anything useful. However it does all the little jobs you need a lathe for. Luckily I have a good friend with a proper lathe, too - when I had a proper job I could always use one of theirs, or get someone good to do the tricky stuff.
Alan Fairless
(02-10-2019, 07:50 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: I have a lot of Model Engineer mags about 1930 ex my father, and some Drummond pamphlets. Much was rightly made of the efforts of one amateur who made a large working model radial aero engine all on a round bed Drummond. The saddle was rotaed around the bed to accomodate odd sizes. The Drummond became the Myford

Hi Bob, Incredibly, he made two engines; a 5-cylinder and an 18-cylinder. Here they are - and astounding that both together with all the small parts including nuts and bolts, were made on a Round Bed Drummond - the builder must have had the patience of a saint.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-10-2019, 12:13 AM)David Stepney Wrote: That must have been quite a few years ago, Hedd. TH4219 still appears to have its Ruby wheels.

By the way, i have got to the bottom of the 'railway brakes'. They only protest if they get wet. although driving the car in the recent inclement conditions appears to be enough to upset them.

1981. Dad had not long bought it. It got 19's pretty quickly.
Doing what you should never do - removing the side water branch!

In my defence, I'm getting my very much ignored Trials Chummy ready for next weekends Welsh Trial. The water branch has had a slight weep for ages so, this afternoon, I bit the bullet.  I use M10 stainless set screws suitably cut to length to fasten them on and always have anti-freeze in all my cars and in this instance it's all been together for 12 years. The M10s unfastened without problems and the threads in the block was as they were 12 years ago. Cleaned everything up, new gasket, some jollop and new copper washers under the set screw heads and all back together. Done 18 miles there and back to the petrol station and no water loss. Now need to see if that's still the case tomorrow morning Confused

However, the proof of the pudding etc. so if you're in the vicinity of Prestigne next Saturday and Sunday and you see a maroon Chummy with a half painted bonnet at the side of the road, any water you might be carrying could well be most welcome Exclamation

Steve
Hi Steve

Sorry I'm having to give Presteigne a miss as I have some other pressing engagements.  (Grrrrrrrr.)  Otherwise I'd bring along a gallon to have ready on "The Smatcher!".

Cheers

Howard
I’ll put a gallon container in the Mazda. Only problem is i’ll Be in Northumberland. Try to keep it together for the Lakeland
Alan Fairless
Steve, look forward to seeing you at the northern filter. Bacon butties and coffee available from the landlady at a very reasonable price, or so I am told!!