The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Harking back to Tony Griffiths, many may avoid Roald Dahl as being a childrens writer. His autobiography in two parts, from memory "Boy" and "Solo" are grand reads, his wartime experiences real chilling Boys Own stuff.
 I have always found short stories somewaht feeble, but not his. Some cannot be read to the grandchildren, and maybe not even to the wife. Most of the twists are very hard to see coming.

One story reminded me of an incident decades ago when still at school. The big ends on our/my car were failing and with my father we answered an adv for a Seven wrecking. My father chanced to ask about the crankcase and was told it was to be collectd and was shown a sack full of fragments. We wonder if "pack it up and put it in a sack" had been heard as "crack it up!"

(The big ends had as usual been hopelessly filed, but with shims and a lot of time which should have been spent studying, were used.)

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Bob Culver - 16-09-2019, 07:20 AM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM