The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Today, with the help of my mechanic friend, we've finally got my Ruby running properly, although it needs to be taken out for a good journey fairly soon. Despite much fettling since June 2018 and lots of additional faults jumping into the mix, the final solution has settled on a weak coil, a manual distributor that was failing to earth satisfactorily and provide a spark (new condenser amazingly arrived within 24 hours from the Seven Workshop but by then we'd just fitted the Accuspark assembly with its replacement ignition module), and some decidedly questionable spark plugs, that were fairly new but had probably been abused by the recent rough running of the engine - and the SU put aside for the tried and tested original Zenith carburettor. The ignition timing was reset, this time using a strobe light. It really helps to have fresh eyes and a logical brain to come up with solutions.

Once the plugs arrive I intend giving the car a run and if all is well, refitting the SU to see if all is well, as I much prefer the advantages of the SU.

Anyway, I am now suffused with a warm glow of satisfaction and the Ruby's dishonourable discharge into the back alley and possible scrapyard destination can now be postponed.

I might still make the Sheffield PWA7C end of season run - Yippee!

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Mick Hanna - 30-07-2019, 04:43 PM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM