The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
"Unless you have a new tank, these things are surely going to fill up and then block with rusty particles pretty quickly? I've got one sitting here and it has no spare volume to retain what it filters. The oversize versions of the cheap plastic inline filters have a huge surface area of filter and don't seem to impede flow... "

Life was challenging for the first few years that I had the Chummy on the road and I used a glass/plastic in-line filter like this:

However, the tap kept getting blocked, usually on a hard uphill thrash, so I cleaned the petrol tank with a handful of brass shrapnel, while turning it, strapped to a concrete mixer drum!

That certainly helped but the tap still got blocked occasionally, so I cobbled together a brass mesh filter cage to go over the inlet to the tap and put the 150 micron filter further down the line. That way, anything big enough to block the tap is stopped by the mesh and 150 micron is dust sized. Providing they are both serviced yearly, they don't seem to give problems and I don't have any more petrol blockages. The 150 micron filter just washes out in petrol..... I do carry a spare in the car though, just in case!

The flow rate is fine, supplies enough petrol to do Porlock and Countisbury, mostly flat out in 1st gear on a half full tank. If you google the filter's spec, it's designed for gravity feed.

TR

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Parazine - 01-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM