The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Being a keen advocate of planned maintenance, and, beaing in mind the haphazard maintenance instructions in the Austin Seven handbook, which usually results in oil and grease where oil and grease should not be, I have decided to adopt a regime of servicing my RP at 2500 mile intervals. This involves:- (a) Full grease and oil as per the handbook plus paint springs with oil (I am aware of what Arthur W. Judge says but don't agree as the handbook recommends oiling the springs) and including door locks and hinges. (b) Check all levels. © Change engine oil (d) Check points and plugs and tune engine. (d) Remove all brake drums, check linings and make sure the system is working properly and adjust as appropriate. (e) Check all the lights and electrics.

I have now done 2500 miles since I first acquired the car, when I gave it this type of service as soon as it got home, which also allowed me to assess the car and see what was required immediately. I changed the oil when I replaced the rear main bearing now over 1000 miles ago, and it has had a 'grease gun' service in between times (because I was bored!).

So, given that the car has now done 2500 in my hands, The current mileage being 97580 which, given what I know about the car could very well be genuine, I gave it such a full service this morning.

Then the dog and I took it on road test to the pub.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by David Stepney - 04-05-2019, 04:18 PM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM