The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I miss proper English pubs. The closest I had was in Auckland but alas, I don't live there anymore. Wellington has a ton of craft beers but to be honest I find most over-rated and some are just ridiculous. The approach seems to be chuck a bunch of random flavours in it and see what the craft beer lovers like. I still always prefer a normal bitter.

Back to Austin 7s. With me visiting family for Christmas then family visiting me here all done now I can finally work on the car for the next week before going back to work. So today I made a windage tray. I need to size the baffle to the alloy sump I am getting so it's only temporarily attached for now. I will also solder some cupro-nickel pipe to the oil pump inlet to move the pickup to the middle.

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=2]

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=2]

The tray is 2mm steel. The idea is to keep the oil in the lower half of the sump rather that it forming a 'cloud' in the crankcase which apparently creates drag on the crank. Not sure it's noticeable on an A7 engine to be honest but on high HP engines they definitely help. It also adds a little stiffness to the crankcase and the vertical baffle stops the oil sloshing about on hard cornering/acceleration and braking. The slots are in line with the oil jets so when the crank isn't in the way the oil squirts straight through them. The bent up lips help catch the oil and direct it down. Sometimes I do wonder why I do these racey mods to a car that won't be raced! I will just have to drive it in an appropriately sporty manner.

Tomorrow I want to add timing marks to the flywheel then bolt the gearbox on finally. Then the engine is ready to put in the car so I can start working out where to put oil filter, run lines, route the exhaust and so on. When the radiator is out I need to patch that (I drilled holes in the top tank to knock out a massive dent in it), paint it and it's mounting brackets then that can be reinstalled.

Been working on this car for 7.5 years now having to learn EVERYTHING as I go. Hoping 2019 is the year I get it drivable!

Oh, as a nice end to the year I got a refund from our government ACC (accident compensation corporation). Basically it's like a compulsory extra tax to pay for health care. Seems I overpaid at some point so I got a $440 dollar refund. That will nicely pay for an Innovate wideband air fuel meter with a bit of money for (proper) beer left over!

Simon

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by jansens - 31-12-2018, 07:25 AM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM