The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
As you know, Mark, I'm aware of how big a step forward driving the car down the lane is for you and Adam. Well done both and proof that whatever the hurdles, you can get there one day. I'm of the mind at the moment to join the BARC Yorks for 2021 and do a few Harewoods as I've missed my hill climbing this year and don't see the situation being much improved for 2021. Venues like Harewood have limited entries to members only this year and given it's only 30 miles from here, I think I might be a good move. I'd be competing against more modern machinery but your principle competitor in hill climbing is yourself so that's no matter. However, if you can get the Seven finished for next year, Adam can enter it at Harewood as well and I can have some competition for STD.

Blue Mini looks to be coming on well.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the kind words. We look forward to seeing you at Harewood next year!!

M
A couple of weeks ago now, I did a trial in the Ulsteroid, a rare event this year! The Minehead Mc, Exmoor Clouds, was restricted to a single venue this year, a very hilly piece of woodland just out of the town. It had some of the roughest forest roads I've ever seen! Even the drivers of class 8 modern specials were saying how rough it was. I did half the hills before deciding to pack up before I broke something significant. It was great to get out competing again, but I wouldn't recommend this event for pre war cars.    
I completed the brake reline on the semi girling front axle, using a set of the woven high friction linings from Dave Cochrane. I was having difficulty setting up the brakes and came across a strange phenomenon. With the adjusters backed off I could fit and remove the drums, but as soon as I tightened the three grub screws the brakes would bind.
I guess this is due to the fact that the girling shoes are not self centering relative to the hub and tightening the countersunk screws showed this up. I finally had a Eureka moment and sprayed the inside of the drum with some primer and then fitted the drum whilst the paint was still wet. With the screws tightened, rotating the drum transferred some paint onto the part of the linings that were catching, which I then gently removed with a rasp. It took me two or three goes to get both drums to rotate without catching when fully home, now all I need is a fine day to road test and bed in. Doesn't sound much, but my back told me it was time for tiffin. ( and a Madeleine )
Had this happen often, Bruce. It's normally caused by the radius on the inner corner of the drum tightening against the square edge of the shoes when you give the drum screws the final pinch. A medium file to the square edge of the linings is the solution. Happens to a different degree from drum to drum depending on the inner radius. They're not all the same.

Steve
Bruce, Its Peanuts and Pernod up here (Reward for starting the decorations in the bathroom).
Hi RR
I used chalk to sort bedding
Thanks Bob. I would have used chalk as well but I didn't have any to hand. The primer was the next best thing and it cleaned off the drum easily with some thinners.

Lying under the fore end of an Austin, wondering whether to call down further curses and imprecations upon the head of the previous user of metric fastenings, and frequently the ignorer of washers, or to pray for their salvation in due course, when a visitor summoned me out and demanded tea and biscuits. After suitable hand cleaning, on the social distance of the patio, a tattered photo was handed over. Obviously a copy of something much older, evident tear on lower rh corner of original. On the back a pencil inscription. "J. or possibly S. K. Dolland or possibly Bolland?  Brooklands Austin. Touring Trim.  1928" No mention in Boddy or Canning Brown, any ideas?
The wheel rims suggest this is a late-1925 or early-1926 car; the number of accessories fitted means it's probably not seen much serious competition use.