The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
He may be free of the Coronavirus but it sounds like he’s caught the Austin Seven bug and there’s no cure for that!

By the way, thanks Bruce for the heads up, we are all clear on the mudguard.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Much simpler on an RN
Found out why my battery won't hold charge... oops. Still could be worse, only eaten a 2" hole in the scuttle. Today's job is to effect a  repair. 

.jpg   20200712_155904.jpg (Size: 340.15 KB / Downloads: 457)

Disappointed that the battery lasted only 3 years despite my efforts to keep it topped up on a smart charger. The previous Lincoln battery lasted much better,  but I couldn't get one shipped with acid this time. 

.jpg   20200712_155846.jpg (Size: 210.63 KB / Downloads: 457)

Can anyone with a Ruby show me how the strap secures the battery,  particularly given that the speedo cable is against the side I'd thought it was clamped to.

Finally, does anyone know if there's a reproduction battray or something similar? It's not doing its job any more!

.jpg   20200712_155820.jpg (Size: 302.65 KB / Downloads: 460)
Browning’s Battray, that’s great...I’d guess they are like hen’s teeth and it seems a shame to hide it under the battery!
I'm not sure that using a battery conditioner on a Seven is a good idea. The main danger with the 3-brush dynamo is cooking the battery once it's fully charged. Starting out with it full means it will be overcharging.
Jim
In answer to the thread heading, I have driven one today for the first time since March.  This is the longest period I have ever gone without driving an A7 since the age of 17. 

It started first swing of the handle and it was glorious!

The battery I had from Lincon last time lasted 7 years with exactly the same treatment,  so I was a little perplexed by the short life of this one. They suggested checking the charger.
(12-07-2020, 05:58 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: In answer to the thread heading, I have driven one today for the first time since March....

Hmm... hoisted by my own petard again!

And I set out with what I was planning... to patch an acid hole in the scuttle... but ended up with an angle grinder cutting out the ragged remains of the battery box...  now the ORT is all in bits and it'll be that way for a week or three. I should have just gone for a drive like Ruairidh.
I'm not sure sure how the hole in the bodywork seems to line up with a perfect image of a driver in the gutter? Is he following you around in a Dinky toy?

A big day today. Went in the modern to Ilkley to pick up the seats from Simon Laxton (only 20 miles away). Fitted seats and went for a drive in the Ruby. First time I've driven it other than sat on a cushion.