The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Thanks does anyone have the diameter/spec for the larger hose? I can see it will become clear when I have the thermostat and hose here, but dont want to re-invent wheels if thought processes have already been performed...
The hose I used is 42mm ID and the stat is a snug fit 

I've included a photo of the finished job now I've fathomed out how to transfer photos from mu phone, hope this helps
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Having run the car with thermostat for a number of years I found it doesn't overheat in hot weather. I was concerned that the water flow might be restricted, but I think the flow rate from thermo-syphon is low and so it isn't an issue. The only time its boiled was climbing one of Malcolm's long, steep Yorkshire hills.
I used silicone hose as it is more accommodating that cotton reinforced rubber.
Black hose would be an improvement. At the time I could only find it available in long lengths and hence expensive.
Another thing I ought to rectify!
I have in the past had several pre-war Daimlers. In the 30s, under the leadership of Laurence Pomeroy, they ran a big experimental department and came up with many new ideas.
One was investigating bore wear which they noted increased dramatically below 80 C.
The the 30s Daimlers had pumped, pressurised and thermostatically controlled cooling.
Jim
Photo 

I though I'd cracked sending a photo but had to go back to the drawing board !
That looks very good.
I think you have a bit more clearance under the header tank than I have. Allows a single size hose to be used.
Jim
Is it possible to use another piece of inner hose to locate the thermostat, and perhaps take this up tp the top clamp.
Then the third clamp is not needed.
Peter
(07-01-2020, 10:37 PM)Chris KC Wrote: I wanted some custom (formed) radiator hoses for my Ulster rep. and two sets were made for me by the Goodflex Rubber Co. at a very modest price. They used 160C resistant black silicone rubber but with a nylon 'wrapped' finish which looks very 'vintage' - sample image below. This was 7 or 8 years ago now, but they could not have been more helpful.

Goodflex Rubber Co. Ltd
Unit 4, Weston Industrial Estate
Honeybourne
Evesham
Worcestershire
WR11 7QB

Tel: 01388 841480
www.goodlexrubber.com
They even make reducing hose:-

https://https//www.goodflexrubber.com//p...ucing-hose
Does anyone know the overall length needed for the top hose? The ebay lengths with 42mm ID are about £7.90 for 9.5" or a metre for £28. Black silicone doesn't seem to be much different but is going to look just as bad as blue unless like Chris specified.
Jon. I hvae just measured the top hose on my RP saloon and it is 10 and 1/8th inches long, if that helps.
Thanks for the compliment and, more importantly, floating the concept in the first place

Hi Jon
mine measures 11" - it's a 1931 RN

Probably, but most engine manufacturers site the thermostat very close to the cylinder head, presumably this was the best place to monitor the temperature of the engine. Certainly in the 'good old days' it was always inside the water outlet of the head. I actually made it that the sensor of the stat was partially in the aluminium outlet. If it was at the top it might not be as sensitive as it should be and open correctly, but that's only my personal opinion for what it's worth.

Sorry - forgot to mention that my local factor supplied me with half metre for about £10 = the stat was about a fiver from ebay. and a couple of quid for the jubilee clips, so the whole job came in under £20. I also run anti freeze all of the time which has stopped the corrosion in the engine