The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RK "bumpers"
Wow.

Thanks for all the interest and replies.  I was vaguely aware of the Chile car but I think from memory the photos didn't show much detail.

The replies have certainly given me some ideas.  I already have mounting holes at the rear as the car came with a rather agricultural luggage rack bolted to the chassis extensions via 2" by 1/2" steel bars! 

Chris, I painted the cowl black after considering how badly damaged the original was.  Maybe one day I will either source a better one or bite the bullet and have the original repaired (when I get rich!).  I quite like it black though.

Thanks again and maybe you'll see a car with chrome bumpers next year.

Howard
South American car with bumpers is in grey mag 2015B
Sorry - Argentina! They are quite well proportioned...
Interesting that this Argentina car had Victoria cloth upholstery. Anyone have a contact for the owner please?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks both

Reproducing the fluted steel may be difficult.

Strange apron under the cowl?

Howard
(15-09-2018, 05:15 PM)JonE Wrote: Sorry - Argentina! They are quite well proportioned...
Interesting that this Argentina car had Victoria cloth upholstery. Anyone have a contact for the owner please?

I have pair you can have
(15-09-2018, 06:34 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Thanks both

Howard

My Swallow saloon has bumpers (manufactured by Wilmot Breeden) and the ones fitted to the 1930/31 cars were made from cast-iron (the 1932 version was different from steel) - same as the Swallow saloon in Ruairidh's post.   . 

My blacksmith is making up new rear bumper irons to replace the very corroded originals and talking to him on Friday, he was suggesting to replace the cast-iron bumper blades (these are quite badly pitted, so aesthetically, will need a lot of work to restore a decent finish) with a stainless steel channel to match the original section size (which is a channel) and he said it was not a problem to cut the "flutes" (each blade on my bumpers has two "flutes"), the channel is just run through with an appropriate cutter and the job is done!

We originally chatted about using mild steel channel, and then getting this chrome-plated, but as I live by the sea, chrome-plating is not a good idea on a ferrous metal, and if a stainless steel channel of a suitable size is available this would be the best option, on the Swallow, the bumper blades have a tight radius bend at each end (double rails) and the blacksmith did not see a problem bending this exactly right.

Suggest you talk to a blacksmith to see what can be done, the bumper blade in the photo in this posting is much simpler than that on the Swallow, so you should be able to get something done that looks right.

Gary
(16-09-2018, 10:25 AM)GK5268 Wrote:
(15-09-2018, 06:34 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Thanks both

Howard

My Swallow saloon has bumpers (manufactured by Wilmot Breeden) and the ones fitted to the 1930/31 cars were made from cast-iron (the 1932 version was different from steel) - same as the Swallow saloon in Ruairidh's post.   . 

My blacksmith is making up new rear bumper irons to replace the very corroded originals and talking to him on Friday, he was suggesting to replace the cast-iron bumper blades (these are quite badly pitted, so aesthetically, will need a lot of work to restore a decent finish) with a stainless steel channel to match the original section size (which is a channel) and he said it was not a problem to cut the "flutes" (each blade on my bumpers has two "flutes"), the channel is just run through with an appropriate cutter and the job is done!

We originally chatted about using mild steel channel, and then getting this chrome-plated, but as I live by the sea, chrome-plating is not a good idea on a ferrous metal, and if a stainless steel channel of a suitable size is available this would be the best option, on the Swallow, the bumper blades have a tight radius bend at each end (double rails) and the blacksmith did not see a problem bending this exactly right.

Suggest you talk to a blacksmith to see what can be done, the bumper blade in the photo in this posting is much simpler than that on the Swallow, so you should be able to get something done that looks right.

Gary

Thanks Gary

I hadn't thought of using stainless steel and am very gratified to know that fluting is relatively easy.  I'll have a word with the local blacky.

Howard
Hi there

Both early 1930’s Morris Minors and
8”s, had fluted bumpers and I’d think you could pick some up via the Morris Register.
The Minor ones are neater though.
The 1934 8 I had had these as standard
And had a rolled end with a Stainless steel cap inserted.

The bumpers were fluted rolled steel, plated chrome, and with the
Recesses enamelled black
The front I think had a starting handle hole?

Regards
Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
As the long time owner of a 1936 Morris 8 Series I Tourer, Bill is absolutely correct in saying that chrome with twin black enamel recess bumpers made from fluted spring steel with rolled ends and dome caps were fitted as standard to all Series I and II Eight's from 1934 to 1938. As Bill mentions the front bumper has a small plate riveted centrally and behind the bumper blade and positioned below it through which the detachable starting handle is pushed and held in place whilst cranking the engine. As a Morris Register member of many years standing, I can say that bumpers don't come up for sale very often though I've occasionally seen some on eBay. Quite a number of Eights have lost theirs over time so it's fair to say bumpers are now usually sought after items.
You can buy at huge expense new highly polished stainless steel and black Morris 8 Ser. I / II bumpers complete with dome end caps for around £891 pair including VAT – they’re priced in euros.

https://www.bumperworld.eu/bumpers/morris/s/647
Hi Jeff

I had a Pre-series Morris 8 hence the 1934 date.
The Minor based Family 8 also had similar bumpers.

That’s interesting that someone is remanufacturing them
Albeit at a price. My Morris 8 Cars usually only
Cost £30 to £50!

The first one was BBO218 famous for being
Featured on the Profile Publication of the Morris 8, on the back pages as what not to do to your Morris!
( before O bought it though:-)

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,