The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RK "bumpers"

Hi All

I've not posted on the forum for quite a while as I've been tied up with house moving...house renovating etc.  but am now back to Austin Seven matters and very nearly completing my RK See pic.

Some will know that the car has an interesting history being exported to Sweden from new in March 1930. It was "under renovation" and covered with fabric when I imported it. 

I have obtained the Gaydon certificate for the car and apart from the colour, upholstery and black rad cowl it is back to how it left the factory (specification wise!)...

apart from the fact the certificate says it had "bumpers"

Does anybody know what bumpers looked like on a 1930 car?

Howard
just had a thought. There was an Assoc mag about a ?Chile car - motorshow car export to South America certainly - being restored in the last few years. Not 1930 but I'm sure was still SWB. Can anyone remember it to look it up?

It was hung up from a roof..!
Hi Howard,

nice work on the car - well done!

Several cars exist with bumpers -

Swallows (mostly saloons but a two seater with factory bumpers exists also)

[Image: fe30c01680152ecd1bb9b5e282a800a2.jpg]

Chris Parkhurt's Paris To Peking car - Crusty - has bumpers - no idea if they are ages witht he car but somebody will: (see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/28439790@N03/5581476208/)

The Maythorne car: https://www.conceptcarz.com/z25623/austin-model-7.aspx

I have seen contemporary adverts for bumpers that you could buy for your Seven and I expect that anything you wanted could be fitted tot he car - if you were prepared to pay for it.
It was probably a requirement by the Swedish authorities that all cars needed to fitted with bumpers.
Can't help on the type though.
Why the black rad. surround?
Aftermarket front bumpers on early cars often simply bolted to the sheet metal and were a liability. Rear mountings can be reasonably substantial and were covered recently.
Keep searching for the Chile car - it was factory bumpers I'm sure....
(06-09-2018, 08:28 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi All

I've not posted on the forum for quite a while as I've been tied up with house moving...house renovating etc.  but am now back to Austin Seven matters and very nearly completing my RK See pic.

Some will know that the car has an interesting history being exported to Sweden from new in March 1930. It was "under renovation" and covered with fabric when I imported it. 

I have obtained the Gaydon certificate for the car and apart from the colour, upholstery and black rad cowl it is back to how it left the factory (specification wise!)...

apart from the fact the certificate says it had "bumpers"

Does anybody know what bumpers looked like on a 1930 car?

Howard
[Image: Im19290927LCar-Ele.jpg]

Howard these are listed in Grace's guide for 1927 and 1928. They are 2 straight bars for the front and have an elephants head emblem centrally. I believe the rear of the car had a smaller pair each side . 
The Swallow bumpers are completely different   cheers  Russell
Not SWB but here is a drawing about fitting bumpers that Eddie Loader purchased some years ago at an autojumble.

Roly

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1931 RN, 1933 APD
Despite the small size of the cars the rear guards of Sevens seemed to suffer. Probably the unordered parking and the practice of parking by ear years ago was the cause. But the Wilmot bumper attachment seems especially flimsy. Certainly inadequate to attach any carrier. The metal to left of the bracket appears ineffectual, unless the bolts BB were a very easy  fit and not tightened, when it might absorb some impact.

On early swb cars is the angle running forward from the bracket BB suitable for attaching a bumper or carrier support as in recent RP discussion?
Wink 
Hi Howard. The RK looks great, if you are a good driver you will not need bumpers Cool  S&P