The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were to buy an Austin Seven today - what would you look for?
(04-09-2018, 11:20 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: If I had £38,000 to spend on a car, I would look at the market and what I could get for my money ... and it wouldn't be an Austin Seven!

I dunno. I wouldnt want any other type of vintage car except perhaps a 12/4 or a 20 made into a pickup. Or a late 1920's Morris Commercial 1 tonner.
(04-09-2018, 05:13 PM)Hedd Jones Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 11:20 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: If I had £38,000 to spend on a car, I would look at the market and what I could get for my money ... and it wouldn't be an Austin Seven!

I dunno. I wouldnt want any other type of vintage car except perhaps a 12/4 or a 20 made into a pickup. Or a late 1920's Morris Commercial 1 tonner.

You mean something like this Hedd ...............

Yumm!
(04-09-2018, 07:46 PM)Jeff Taylor Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 05:13 PM)Hedd Jones Wrote:

You mean something like this Hedd ...............

Actually no. I'd prefer a vintage one. And certainly not a 6.
I hear what you are saying Hedd but it is a rather nice photo and I love the sign writing, the discs, the (new?) houses, the lack of potholes, the neat hedges.

A lot to like.
Ruairidh - you could also get your whole house in the back of that - just think how easy those long holiday trips would be :-)
Hmmmmm.... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I would love a copy of this photo please, where can I find it?
My uncle Norman Oates worked at Gibbs Garage on the Bedfont bypass near Heathrow in the 1950,s. It was there that he built an Austin 7 woody in a store room during his lunch breaks and after hours. He was the butt of family jokes, since it had to be dismantled to get it through the interior door. He gave me my first car when I was 17 a Mk1 Ruby, it needed a replacement back axle, which he had thoughtfully provided on the back seat. Cost of car 30 shillings, cost of back axle 30 shillings, value of fun and mechanical education, beyond measure.
Thanks for posting, brought out many fond memories!
(04-09-2018, 09:19 PM)Oxford Jack Wrote: I would love a copy of this photo please, where can I find it?
My uncle Norman Oates worked at Gibbs Garage on the Bedfont bypass near Heathrow in the 1950,s. It was there that he built an Austin 7 woody in a store room during his lunch breaks and after hours. He was the butt of family jokes, since it had to be dismantled to get it through the interior door. He gave me my first car when I was 17 a Mk1 Ruby, it needed a replacement back axle, which he had thoughtfully provided on the back seat. Cost of car 30 shillings, cost of back axle 30 shillings, value of fun and mechanical education, beyond measure.
Thanks for posting, brought out many fond memories!

Hi Jack, 

Jeff Taylor here, long term Morris Register member (like yourself) and regular MR forum contributor. I discovered the photo online a few years back and took a screen shot of it - I've no idea now where I found it - it may have been one of the many Facebook Group pages of 'Old Photos of (a particular city / town)' where group members post photos from their personal collections of the city / town in question - most of the old photos featuring Sevens that I've posted to the ASF Gallery page have been found on these 'Old Photos' sites. I'll PM you the image, it may well enlarge to a reasonable size for you to print off.

Jeff.
Thank you Jeff that is much appreciated!