The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were to buy an Austin Seven today - what would you look for?
Price?

Originality?

Shine?

Something to work on?

Patina?

All of the above and more?

What is the mood today?
Rough looking oily rag with rock solid mechanicals.
I'm with Nick on this one.

Oily rag, with good mechanics, pheonix crank etc.

Most of The cars I actually own are more showroom condition, but this is because I could only afford to buy them as complete bags of c R a p at the time, and then restore them?

Such is life. Tony.
A previously unknown car, unmolested, complete, tatty but basically sound, mechanics needing attention, ideally a Swallow two-seater, but would settle for an early chummy (there was a rough looking one last year at Goodwood, which won my choice for the car I would most like to take home) and a current owner that was looking to hand over custodianship of their car foc! And, to be within 20 miles from home, or nearer, not miles away or in Ireland!

Just sort out the mechanics and drive the thing and not worry if left parked on the street unattended!
Anything dragged out of a hedge or a barn, preferably in untouched original condition or a running oily rag, I have seen far to many shiny cars that have been bodged up to look pretty and are utter rubbish underneath the paint.
Oily rag cars are wonderful, but not for me, thanks. I've owned a 12,000 mile from new car (a 1922 Star) and delightful though it was, the heartache of trying to preserve ninety year old paint, metal and fabric took away much of the enjoyment. I added 50% more to its total mileage, and cried enough!

These days, give me a restored car which I can use and enjoy, knowing that any wear and damage I cause can be redone with a clear conscience.
Oily rag and bullet proof mechanics
Actually. Ive just built the one that I never realised I wanted.

Dad always wanted a chummy, but never got round to restoring his. So I threw the bodywork together on his restored mechanicals. And painted it with Wilcos satin black with a roller. I even used metric bolts!.

Last weekend i drove it in oil soaked clothes with muddy boots. It.pissed down with rain and it got sopping wet. My nephews young son jumped up and down on the seats in his muddy boots and got ketchup all over the steering wheel. My daughter drove it round for half an hour in the emptly car oark field and got it olastered in mud. And I couldnt have cared less. No nice new paintwork or trim to spoil. But also no originality to spoil.

So a tatty car previously restored. But with little originality. 

The chummy seems to have quite an appeal. I was offered appearance money to take it to a show this weekend!
For those who attended 750 Beaulieu this year,the faded light blue c1930 boat tail. I saw it parked up in a row of moderns in Lyndhurst the day before.It looked like it had just been put on the road after being laid up around the 1960's
(03-09-2018, 09:45 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: For those who attended 750 Beaulieu this year,the faded light blue c1930 boat tail. I saw it parked up in a row of moderns in Lyndhurst the day before.It looked like it had just been put on the road after being laid up around the 1960's

Yes I admired that one too...

For me a car in good solid condition, running reliably but with no signs of having passed through the last 4 decades.