The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
£38,000 Chummy
It would have been interesting to see a post from a new A7 Friend asking about his newly acquired 1925 Chummy but I don't think that is likely if he reads this thread and finds out it was a silly blip from a fool speculator who fancied a dabble, got carried away and chucked his money away unwisely paying a ridiculous price for an over restored pile of ...... with lots of unnecessary bling, a coil rather than a mag, plastic wiring, non original finishes and devoid of any trace of its past owners or history.

To quote from my favourite film “what's with all the negative waves”
I would be happy to pay a premium for a car that is restored to the standard it left the works. That said, I have a friend who asked someone on a similar issue, "If you found that one of the screws in the body was cross threaded, would you thread it properly, or cross thread it." Apparently, there was some hesitation in the response. Very telling.

Erich in Seattle
Ian,
Thanks, I'm not familiar with EU 4339, so it's interesting to learn that it has a black FZ carb. However, I would expect an RK saloon to have an FZB carb unless it's an extremely early example, and EU 4339 is a mid-1930 registration, so it's apparently not ...
I've just looked back at the pics of the black carbs - the Austin chassis is definitely later, so fits Mike's assumption. And the Rinsey image, on closer inspection, is definitely petrol staining. So that's one hypothesis that still stands until something more conclusive comes forward!

I was thinking that if they decided the paint the manifold and carb black as part of cost cutting into a cheaper-made FZB unit, then they may well have introduced the black earlier to disguise the loss of bronze?

But perhaps nobody would have cared in those days. (In which case, why did they suddenly paint it all black if it wasn't done far earlier?)
I think we should all be pleased that the dear old Austin Seven still attracts admirers - including those with long pockets - and congratulate ourselves on being the owners of what is still one of the best cars in the vintage/post vintage world. Now back to garage!
Mike perhaps I am wrong then?
Black Art Enthusiast
EU4339 is a Brecon registration
Around 1975 I was filling my spectacularly unoriginal RK saloon with petrol in the filling station in Gilwern just over the border in Monmouthshire.A child on a bike said to me that there was a car just like mine in a local lady’s garage.Would I like to see it?A few minutes later the lady was showing me the most original RK I have ever seen.Her brother had bought the car new in 1930 and gone off in 1936 to fight in the Spanish Civil War never to return.It is along time ago but I have no memory of a black painted carb.at all.I wanted that car but could not afford it and eventually I heard it was sold to a local butcher in Abergavenny.If anyone knows about black painted carbs.he will.
Ian

There is not an "original" RK amongst the more frequently seen Sevens in these parts. I will depute one of the meat eating members of the family to ask about it in both the butchers shops in Abergavenny or the one in Crickhowell.
(05-09-2018, 05:16 PM)Steve kay Wrote: Ian

There is not an "original" RK amongst the more frequently seen Sevens in these parts. I will depute one of the meat eating members of the family to ask about it in both the butchers shops in Abergavenny or the one in Crickhowell.

Steve,
I'm told there was a butcher's shop "Edwards" in Abergavenny in the 1970s, and possibly he might have had an interest in old cars.  The present butchers are not known to be interested, apparently.
The car I mentioned was a 1930 RK which was rediscovered by Neill Bruce in 1961, it has been taken out of regular use in 1935 and had probably only covered 12000 miles from new. The car as found was almost completely original and had a black painted ALUMINIUM carb and manifold.......my memory was playing tricks on me! So apologies Mike seems you may be quite correct that it was only the FZB which were painted black and possibly as you suggest to disguise the new material???
There is a full article about the cars discovery and recommissioning in Feb 1976 Veteran and Vintage magazine. The car has subsequently been featured in Rinsley Mills book.
Black Art Enthusiast