The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
£38,000 Chummy
Could someone please tell me if I have done Rip Van Winkle and been asleep for several decades.

I know it is an early car. I know it is immaculate (even with the chromed brake cable adjusters) - which is lovely if you want a pristine ornament, devoid of any trace of its past owners or history. I know it only take two people to make an auction.

But I am utterly staggered by the £37,950 (inc 15% buyer premium) that the Chummy made at Bonhams sale at Beaulieu over the weekend. Was it an everyday 'value' or was the price simply a product of  two people getting carried away?

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24877/l...560&page=1

.jpg   P1090934sm.jpg (Size: 203.92 KB / Downloads: 835)

.jpg   P1090935sm.jpg (Size: 209.37 KB / Downloads: 832)
I would be reluctant to pay half that for a properly restored example! Far too much 'bling' on this one for my taste - I thought that sort of restoration had gone out of fashion forty years ago!
I am with you Nick an over restored pile of ......., I am sure we have see this car here before, a fool and his money. I do not think we can judge much from this other than the higher prices go the more wealthy idiots will buy cars like this.
Black Art Enthusiast
This has been discussed on the facebook page over the last 24 hours. General concensus is that it's a ridiculous price and 2 buyers must have got carried away. There has also been some mention of it's chassis number and body number as there's something odd going on there...
Does it come with Kleenex tissues to eradicate any sign of oil in the engine compartment or is that aother 20 guineas extra? It would be a shame if it never gets used on the road again.
maybe the "unlucky" bidder who missed out can look at this one on ebay, it's a big stretch to call it an Austin 7
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153163776849?ul_noapp=true
I'm surprised at you people but not the ugly face book.

This car is obviously not many peoples cup of tea, and not one I'd chass after.

But think of how many times you have sed or heard this line. There's no youngsters coming into the austin 7 world.

I don't know who the new owner is, but he could be one of those new youngsters. With his iPhone. And like most youngsters on ugly face book, he may even one day find this forum.

I wouldn't be surprised if this car doesn't quickly come back up for sale, and the new owners looks to get his enjoyment from a friendlier part of the old car world?

Tony.
I think many begin to realise that the "market price for an Austin Seven is what someone will pay for it.
As long as we all enjoy our cars what we might have paid for them will be forgotten very quickly.
There are cars to suit all pockets available.
My advice given to people looking for an Austin Seven is always to look of the best they can find and afford, as in the long run it is the cheapest and they get fun straight away.
Many people in the incoming generations like the idea of a Seven but do not have the "fettling" experience and that can put them off buying a cheap car.
I suggest that we welcome all and give them as much help as possible.
(03-09-2018, 10:59 AM)Tony Betts Wrote: I'm surprised at you people but not the ugly face book.

This car is obviously not many peoples cup of tea, and not one I'd chass after.

But think of how many times you have sed or heard this line. There's no youngsters coming into the austin 7 world.

I don't know who the new owner is, but he could be one of those new youngsters. With his iPhone. And like most youngsters on ugly face book, he may even one day find this forum.

I wouldn't be surprised if this car doesn't quickly come back up for sale, and the new owners looks to get his enjoyment from a friendlier part of the old car world?

Tony.

Not really sure what you're getting at here Tony. Perhaps I'm missing a joke somewhere.
However, speaking as a "youngster" I would have said it was highly unlikely anyone in my age range (that is late 20s/ early 30s) would have been willing to spend 38k on this car. Most wouldn't have 38k to spend on anything.
Many years ago soon after I started tinkering with old cars the university of life hit me hard after spending hours and hours perfecting (in my eyes) my old car. Then on the rally field appeared a covered trailer from which a similar car to mine was extracted - immaculate in every detail and even had a large mirror underneath to show yet more perfection.
The moral of this story is that no matter how much time/effort/money one can spend on their own vehicle, there is always somebody else willing/able to spend so much more. Go to the Commercial vehicle London to Brighton run next year just to see how many Rollers are on low loaders, their owners just driving 'their' old vehiles on the run with paid minions doing all the pre and post run hidden work. Now, this is where serious money is involved.
So be it, if the new owner is happy with his/her new purchase I wish them all the best, I do my best to keep my Sevens (in this case) running within my means and enjoy every moment whether just tinkering or driving!
Yes, the yellow Chummy is a very expensive purchase in most of our eyes as we possibly know the true value and now the Seven dealers must be rubbing their hands in glee. It's simple really, if you want it and can afford it - buy it.
All is not lost, there are youngsters joining our ranks as I sold one of my cars earlier in the year, it was slightly underpriced so he could fulfill his dream and delighted was he. Me too in helping both the young owner and old car a happy future.
Thank goodnees there are young people willing and able given the opportunity to own their own Sevens.
Peter