The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
£38,000 Chummy
The only reason I use Facebook is that there are more people using it for Austin 7 stuff - and able to contribute to conversation - than on 'ere, where there is always, sadly, a silent portion unable to participate but able to watch. I find that terribly, terribly unfortunate - but its just a sign of the perfect storm of technology and a gradually ageing enthusiast population.

I'm not young but I'm probably younger than many and I've learned a hell of a lot from those older than me.

I'd like to think that the buyer of that car won't be troubled by the cheque and will, later, appreciate the intellectual rigour of those discussing such a car - and learn from the experience just like I did from my callow first lurches into arcane world of the Austin 7.
(03-09-2018, 11:58 AM)Dave Prior Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 10:59 AM)Tony Betts Wrote: I'm surprised at you people but not the ugly face book.

This car is obviously not many peoples cup of tea, and not one I'd chass after.

But think of how many times you have sed or heard this line. There's no youngsters coming into the austin 7 world.

I don't know who the new owner is, but he could be one of those new youngsters. With his iPhone. And like most youngsters on ugly face book, he may even one day find this forum.

I wouldn't be surprised if this car doesn't quickly come back up for sale, and the new owners looks to get his enjoyment from a friendlier part of the old car world?

Tony.

Not really sure what you're getting at here Tony. Perhaps I'm missing a joke somewhere.
However, speaking as a "youngster" I would have said it was highly unlikely anyone in my age range (that is late 20s/ early 30s) would have been willing to spend 38k on this car. Most wouldn't have 38k to spend on anything.
Hi Dave,
There's  no joke,
And as usual, things on the forum can't be read without taking them out of context.
i have a vivid imagination, and although YES YES YES it's unlikely to be a 20 year old who has bought it. But who's to say a billioneer hasn't bought it for his 20 year old son.

What I am saying, is We should welcome these new owners, you never know they might even go on to be a large asset to the austin 7 movement . 

Tony.
(03-09-2018, 12:57 PM)Tony Betts Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 11:58 AM)Dave Prior Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 10:59 AM)Tony Betts Wrote: I'm surprised at you people but not the ugly face book.

This car is obviously not many peoples cup of tea, and not one I'd chass after.

But think of how many times you have sed or heard this line. There's no youngsters coming into the austin 7 world.

I don't know who the new owner is, but he could be one of those new youngsters. With his iPhone. And like most youngsters on ugly face book, he may even one day find this forum.

I wouldn't be surprised if this car doesn't quickly come back up for sale, and the new owners looks to get his enjoyment from a friendlier part of the old car world?

Tony.

Not really sure what you're getting at here Tony. Perhaps I'm missing a joke somewhere.
However, speaking as a "youngster" I would have said it was highly unlikely anyone in my age range (that is late 20s/ early 30s) would have been willing to spend 38k on this car. Most wouldn't have 38k to spend on anything.
Hi Dave,
There's  no joke,
And as usual, things on the forum can't be read without taking them out of context.
i have a vivid imagination, and although YES YES YES it's unlikely to be a 20 year old who has bought it. But who's to say a billioneer hasn't bought it for his 20 year old son.

What I am saying, is We should welcome these new owners, you never know they might even go on to be a large asset to the austin 7 movement . 

Tony.

I don't think you get to be a billionaire by chucking your money away that unwisely!
But billionaires do throw their money in all directions.
Witness Larry Ellison, the billionaire boss of Oracle Computers, having a Cobra replica machined out of billet aluminium.
https://jalopnik.com/5385797/how-to-buil...inum-cobra

I'll buy the new owner of the Chummy a pint and take him for a blast in a scruffy, blown Ulster if he asks.

C
Well, it is worth what someone wants to pay for it. It is much cleaner than when it left the works. The sad part is that the new owner may likely have missed or didn't know that the "restored" car sports a coil rather than a mag and plastic wiring.

Erich in Seattle
(03-09-2018, 08:41 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I would be reluctant to pay half that for a properly restored example! Far too much 'bling' on this one for my taste - I thought that sort of restoration had gone out of fashion forty years ago!

I agree - lots of unnecessary bling. If only as much effort and expence had been spent on trying to replicate an exact factory finish - then it might have gone for more!
..although I bet if someone HAD painted the bronze carb black as per likely factory spec then it would have had lots of whingers whinging...
Was the bronze FZ carb ever painted black? I've seen plenty of the later die-cast zinc FZBs with evidence of black paint, but I've never seen a bronze carb showing such evidence.
The thing I have always liked about the Austin Seven movement is that there is broadly no money to be made from restorations. The result is that people restore cars for themselves or for the love of it and are generous with their knowledge.
It also helps maintain spare parts in the reasonable price band area to help us all.
Appreciating this sale is most likely a silly blip from speculators who fancied a dabble on the side at a major auction, it of course won't help any of us for this to become a trend.
As to whether the restoration is over the top then that is purely a personal thing and for no one to overly criticise someone else's opinion or work.
I don't think it will set a new baseline and hope it doesn't.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I believe Tony Griffiths point is spot on, the whole point of a restoration is to replicate the original factory finishes, otherwise you are building a special or even a hot rod. Yes yes I can hear the cacophony of cries of oh but I want to make my car usable on modern roads, well perhaps one or two sensible and discrete mods have a place, but bling and non original finishes do nothing for usability. Cars like this completely mis-represent what an Austin seven ever was when new, it is not a new problem in the old car world and seems to happen to anything which starts to get a high price tag. We as a whole movement become much poorer when investors and money moves in, at least it would appear that some quarters have turned a corner and moved toward conservation.

Mike I believe RK EU4339 is a good example of a car discovered with strong evidence of a black painted bronze FZ carb
Black Art Enthusiast