The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
electronic distributors - any further feedback?
(15-10-2018, 12:11 PM)peter burton Wrote: Now, I'm not getting into the if, buts etc. of these electronic distributors but surely the ultimate must be with the lucky chrome rad Seven owners who have manual advance/retard levers on their steering columns. First remove and alter the advance/retard locking ring from the the old (static) dizzy and modify it to fit the new electronic thingy. Even I managed it so it is no way difficult. Retime as per normal and once running lock up the arm to dizzy at the halfway point on the lever. Go for a good run and find the ultimate timing point whilst driving, inside, dry comfy etc.
Oh so easy, only thing is to make a mark before forgetting where you thought you left it as most engines seem to start well retarded when cold.
All the best,
Peter.

It is interesting how sensitive electronic timing is — it took me quite a bit of trial and error before finding the perfect setting but when you do it’s very rewarding. All the advantages mentioned in other posts plus something which I’d like to put forward as an idea.
For many years a unending topic whenever Austin Seven owners met was how to stop oil leaking from block to c/case joint. There was much discussion on how to hold the block down better but not much talk about why the block was working loose. I reckon erratic ignition is a major culprit and since fitting electronic to both my Sevens I’ve had dry engines including one that sticks out 30 bhp.
Would be interesting to know if this is a shared experience?

Charles

Messages In This Thread
RE: electronic distributors - any further feedback? - by Charles Levien - 16-10-2018, 11:26 AM