The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degreasing brakes
Simon,

I use brake cleaner for cleaning brake parts, and I don't subsequently weld them. Used in this way I have never gassed anybody that I'm aware of. Volatile solvents are better used sparingly and in well ventilated places.

Ruairidh,

Sound advice - I would only ever clean off light surface contamination, once linings are proper oily they belong in the bin.
Chris, the warning is more for those people who grab the nearest can of 'cleaner' to hand for the job they have to do. I know I have dozens of chemicals and sprays and cleaners in my garage and sometimes just use the nearest to hand. And given the cans of this stuff all tend to look similar it's easy to grab the wrong one.

As an amateur welder the dangers of some of these chlorinated chemicals wasn't something I knew I needed to be aware of so was just sharing that knowledge here. Maybe everyone knew it already but I don't mind admitting I don't know things.

Simon
News to me as well Simon so thanks for sharing.
Black Art Enthusiast
(28-08-2018, 09:55 PM)jansens Wrote: Chris, the warning is more for those people who grab the nearest can of 'cleaner' to hand for the job they have to do. I know I have dozens of chemicals and sprays and cleaners in my garage and sometimes just use the nearest to hand. And given the cans of this stuff all tend to look similar it's easy to grab the wrong one.

As an amateur welder the dangers of some of these chlorinated chemicals wasn't something I knew I needed to be aware of so was just sharing that knowledge here. Maybe everyone knew it already but I don't mind admitting I don't know things.

Simon

Forgive me Simon, I don't mean to rubbish your post. And don't get me wrong, there are some dangerous and toxic chemicals around the garage which need handling with respect. However there are also a lot of internet-based scare stories too, most of which have little basis in fact. If people use products as they were intended and follow the instructions there's not too much to worry about. 

I remember scaring myself stiff as a boy - after mucking about in a chemistry lesson I thought about what I'd done and convinced myself I'd made nerve gas. Happily for all I had very little grasp of chemistry...
Hi Chris, no problem! And you're right to question things, this one seemed like a scare story to me too when I first read about it. But it is well documented (in trustworthy places) that phosgene gas can be produced from welding things cleaned with chlorinated brake cleaners. And the MSD Sheets do specifically mention phosgene as a hazard. Whether or not anyone has ever died from it I haven't been able to find out. But then again you're not likely to hear about the people who get sick from it and don't die unless you know them personally.

But it's like a lot of things, say welding petrol tanks or spraying two pack isocyanate paints at home without full protective gear. Sure, you can probably get away with it but you should at least be aware of the dangers before you try.

Simon
Big Grin 
The best way to recover soaked brake linings in my experience is to:

A. Remove the worst of the contamination using brake cleaner.
    Unfortunately the solvent cleaners also dilute the oil and some of it soaks further into the pores in the linings only to return to the surface when they get hot - stage B. is therefore necessary:

B. Make up a saturated solution of good old Daz detergent - none of this 'Bio' rubbish,
    Immerse the shoes in the boiling mixture and simmer for at least 30 mins.
    You will be amazed how dark the water goes with what is being driven out of the linings by the heat.......

When removed from the heat the hot shoes naturally dry themselves off ready to be refitted.

I have used this method for years with no ill effects to either bonded or riveted linings. 

PS For maintaining marital bliss I use a camping stove for this exercise and not the kitchen cooker.......... 

Charlie P-J
That's what I have always done Charlie.
Same for clutches.
Caused my mother grief though. She was an ardent tennis and cricket enthusiast. One of the test matches always occurred at the same time as Wimbledon. She watched the tennis on TV with no sound and listened to Test Match Special on the radio. And at the same time she was keeping an eye on my clutch boiling.
Disaster! Set point at Wimbledon, a wicket at the cricket and my clutch boiled over all at exactly the same moment.
Jim
(29-08-2018, 02:23 PM)Cplainjones Wrote: The best way to recover soaked brake linings in my experience is to:

A. Remove the worst of the contamination using brake cleaner.
    Unfortunately the solvent cleaners also dilute the oil and some of it soaks further into the pores in the linings only to return to the surface when they get hot - stage B. is therefore necessary:

B. Make up a saturated solution of good old Daz detergent - none of this 'Bio' rubbish,
    Immerse the shoes in the boiling mixture and simmer for at least 30 mins.
    You will be amazed how dark the water goes with what is being driven out of the linings by the heat.......

When removed from the heat the hot shoes naturally dry themselves off ready to be refitted.

I have used this method for years with no ill effects to either bonded or riveted linings. 

PS For maintaining marital bliss I use a camping stove for this exercise and not the kitchen cooker.......... 

Charlie P-J

Out of interest, why not the 'bio' bit? I have found the biological element of such washing powders breaks down oils and greases far better than a 'non bio' equivalent. If yoy think about it. The biological element was developed to wash shitty nappies. Such waste contains fats and thats why it works on oil and grease also.

With respect to bonded linings. Ive found most harsh solvents do upset the bond. Ive had a number of linings debond on various cars (all modern). Usually not a problem as drums are generally only on the back. And back brakes on modern cars actually do nothing (if you dont believe me, put a mole grips on one pipe. You will not notice the difference)