The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degreasing brakes
What do people find best for degreasing hubs and brake drums?

I've soaked everything in diesel to get the bulk of the grease off (there was a lot!), but now, of course, the components are still oily.

Burn off the diesel?
Wash in petrol?
Wash in thinners?
Paraffin with a degreasing agent added in for really stubborn stuff. We use a small paint brush to work it in. Rinse with water. Brake cleaner or carb cleaner in aerosol form is useful for blowing through small apertures, it's expensive so I use it last and sparingly. Blow dry with compressed air.

In your case I'd wash and dry as above then blast off with brake cleaner to ensure that the drums are properly oil free.

Petrol and thinners are a large fire risk, so I will only used them as last resorts - with a fire extinguisher handy.

Aye
Greig
(26-08-2018, 05:37 PM)Greig Smith Wrote: Paraffin with a degreasing agent added in for really stubborn stuff. We use a small paint brush to work it in. Rinse with water. Brake cleaner or carb cleaner in aerosol form is useful for blowing through small apertures, it's expensive so I use it last and sparingly. Blow dry with compressed air.

In your case I'd wash and dry as above then blast off with brake cleaner to ensure that the drums are properly oil free.

Petrol and thinners are a large fire risk, so I will only used them as last resorts - with a fire extinguisher handy.

Aye
Greig

You can buy cellulose gun cleaner for £6 to £8 per gallon at most jumbles its excellent and completely decreases the items.
And if filtered can be used time after time.
Regards
Graham
Thank you both for your advice.
I havent tried myself but some recommend a turn in the dishwasher. Probaly not for aluminium shoes.
Brake cleaner from a parts store is good stuff, it evaporates off and doesn't leave a residue.

You can buy it in aerosol cans or gallon tins for putting through a spray bottle.

Its also handy for cleaning carbs, and other oily components.
Surely the only bit that needs to be grease free (apart from the linings) is the inside braking surface of the drum? I just wipe off any excess grease on the rest, but have been known to resort to a very light buffing (with emery paper) of the drum if it has rubbed shiny. Does this seem sensible or am I missing something?

Colin
(28-08-2018, 05:46 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Surely the only bit that needs to be grease free (apart from the linings) is the inside braking surface of the drum?  I just wipe off any excess grease on the rest, but have been known to resort to a very light buffing (with emery paper) of the drum if it has rubbed shiny.  Does this seem sensible or am I missing something?  

Colin

Quite so Colin, unless the accumulated amount elsewhere seems at risk of migrating onto aforementioned surfaces, under conditions of heating for example.

+1 for proprietary brake cleaner, you don't want to be using anything which leaves any kind of oily residue.

And yes if the drums have become glazed a light 'hone' with fine emery will at least do no harm.
I am always wary of brake cleaner. The chlorinated stuff is very nasty and very dangerous if you use it to clean metals then weld them. The heat and argon gas makes it break down into phosgene gas apparently.

The only way to tell is to see if it says non-chlorinated on the can or check the MSDS. This is an example for a locally available one: http://jr.chemwatch.net/CWWS/MaterialSer...nlyfirst=1

I usually prefer acetone for cleaning things.

Simon
My preference, in this situation, is to replace the contaminated linings for new ones.