The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diff oil leaking onto break shoes
Hi,

On the original question, whilst it is good to engineer a proper fix, running a lower oil level in the diff than originally specified (approx 1/2" to 3/4" has been quoted) can reduce the likelihood of contamination occurring.  (See 'Oil on Rear Brakes' Aug 2017.)

As a further precaution, whenever I take off the drum whilst checking the brakes, I remove even the tiniest smear that might have found its way through, before it can progress to the linings.  

Regards,
Colin
(26-07-2018, 08:15 PM)Robbie.watson@uk.bp.com Wrote: Thanks for the info

The main reason I was looking at the wheels etc was that when returning home after the Wirral Classic Car club run on Sunday I started getting a significant vibration that felt like it was coming from the back end somewhere. Tonight, with the car up on axle stands I started it up and went through the gears. First, second and third were ok but as soon as selecting fourth the vibration starts.. now I’m confused.... 4th is straight through so is the vibration originating in the engine? Could it be the prop shaft? Why no vibration in other gears or in neutral and revving. Is it the gearbox?? Engine revs nicely under no load and does so in the first three gears so thinking it’s not that.. not that much play in the propshaft and would expect vibration in any gear if it was that.. gearbox was fine and I don’t hear any nasty noises from it.. wouldn’t I get symptoms from the axle in all gears so why only 4th???

Any ideas??

Only in 4th will the rotational speed of the tailshaft and wheels show up balance issues. Wear in the universal joints and splines will cause the prop shaft to be out of balance.  Have you lost a wheel weight?  cheers Russell
Russell raised a good point, wheel balance is often overlooked on a seven because, particularly with 19"wheels, rotational speeds are rarely high enough to highlight the problem. In my experience, besides the comfort factor, wheel balance is just as power sapping as engine balance, well worth taking time to check, even if it is simply a rudimentary static balance better than none at all.
Black Art Enthusiast