The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diff oil leaking onto break shoes
Hi All

Had the rear wheels off the Austin today and noticed a drop of oil at the bottom of the offside brake drum. On removing this I found the break shoes covered in oil which has obviously leaked down the axle casing and past the felt seal at the hub.

Can anyone advise is there a barrier up near the differential that the oil is also getting past (before it makes it to the hub) that I need to renew or is it just get a new felt seal for the hub? Does anyone use anything different than the felt seals? I've heard of people drilling holes in the underside of the axle casing to allow oil to leak out rather than getting as far as the breaks but surely it shouldn't get this far in the first place? Its a 1932-38 "D" type axle

any thoughts?
cheers
Robbie
There are two felt seals near the differential, one on each side, Robbie.

Over time these can become hard and fail - I replace these with a lip seal which I find extremely reliable in comparison.

Usual A7 suppliers stock these.
(26-07-2018, 03:12 PM)Thanks Ruairidh, I presume I need to split the diff to get to these?

Ruairidh Dunford Wrote:
There are two felt seals near the differential, one on each side, Robbie.

Over time these can become hard and fail -  I replace these with a lip seal which I find extremely reliable in comparison.

Usual A7 suppliers stock these.
You do, I can talk you through it at some point, if you are not familiar with the process.
If you are Robbie from Little Sutton, I have a dismantled D type axle available for viewing in Parkgate. Please contact me if interested and I can show you the seal mods.

Graham
(26-07-2018, 04:07 PM)grahamanne Wrote: If you are Robbie from Little Sutton, I have a dismantled D type axle available for viewing in Parkgate. Please contact me if interested and I can show you the seal mods.

Graham

Hi Graham, I am the very same!! I would really appreciate seeing that... Will PM you
I have a rogue half shaft that is only rough finished where the seal near to diff fits so it always leaks.
To prevent oil getting onto the brakes I've fitted seal wheel bearing in the hub. I have also fitted a lip seal in the hub. By making sure the two halves of the hub are sealed together oil cannot get out of the hub onto the brakes.
This has fixed the problem.
Jim
(26-07-2018, 06:09 PM)AustinWood Wrote: I have a rogue half shaft that is only rough finished where the seal near to diff fits so it always leaks.
To prevent oil getting onto the brakes I've fitted seal wheel bearing in the hub. I have also fitted a lip seal in the hub. By making sure the two halves of the hub are sealed together oil cannot get out of the hub onto the brakes.
This has fixed the problem.

Stupid question I expect....which way is the lip seal fitted? "Open" side facing the oil supply?
A bit of brain fade here!
Robbie/Austin see article I wrote for BA7C on their technical web site Axle oil leaks.
Terry.
Thanks for the info

The main reason I was looking at the wheels etc was that when returning home after the Wirral Classic Car club run on Sunday I started getting a significant vibration that felt like it was coming from the back end somewhere. Tonight, with the car up on axle stands I started it up and went through the gears. First, second and third were ok but as soon as selecting fourth the vibration starts.. now I’m confused.... 4th is straight through so is the vibration originating in the engine? Could it be the prop shaft? Why no vibration in other gears or in neutral and revving. Is it the gearbox?? Engine revs nicely under no load and does so in the first three gears so thinking it’s not that.. not that much play in the propshaft and would expect vibration in any gear if it was that.. gearbox was fine and I don’t hear any nasty noises from it.. wouldn’t I get symptoms from the axle in all gears so why only 4th???

Any ideas??