The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN Windscreen rubber
(19-07-2018, 07:30 PM)Biddlecombe Wrote:
(19-07-2018, 07:18 PM)bystander Wrote: If I am interpreting your first photo correctly, your frame is the later of the steel types, fitted just before the chrome-on-brass screen was introduced. I believe there were 3 different profiles of rubber seal on the various steel framed screens, and the one you want slides in the central groove that you can see looking at the frame edge-on. It does not need to be formed around the corners for a good seal like the later brass frames. Jamie at the Seven Workshop lists it as part number B0402A, and I am sure he will send you a small sample on request. No Austin Seven saloon originally had a seal fixed to the body - always a bodge to get around this notoriously leaky area.

Unfortunately this is where I was getting confused because there is no central groove on the edge. It seems that it is 2 pieces of frame one fits inside the outer and fits the rubber between them.
So, is the dark line around the edge of the frame that I can see on your first photo, not the groove I was referring to? If not, your screen does not fit into the pattern any of the standard types I have encountered in the past, and I am baffled.
Your photos don't show the windscreen frame section, the original RN steel frame usually rusts away and i have seen many types of replacement, the original section was exactly like Vintage Supplies 709 section and their seal ORM6.
.jpg   709 section.jpg (Size: 11.28 KB / Downloads: 324)
.jpg   0RM6.DIM__3000001__.jpg (Size: 14.05 KB / Downloads: 327)
(19-07-2018, 07:54 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: Your photos don't show the windscreen frame section, the original RN steel frame usually rusts away and i have seen many types of replacement, the original section was exactly like Vintage Supplies 709 section and their seal ORM6.

Thanks Dave. It doesn't look like I have an original then. These extra pics are 1. from the inside looking out. 2. Edge view. 3. Top hinge corner on drivers side.

Gday
Idea Don't know if this might help, but my screen frame is brass and soldered to it is a C section to hold the T rubber.  the C is folded from thin brass sheet, with the side opposite the opening for the rubber, flat.  The lead solder will chrome after it is done.  I had to remake mine some 15-20 years ago as it was coming off and badly damaged.  Sorry cannot do pictures.
Spex in Oz
That's another variation on RN replacement screens, for an immediate fix it may pay to visit B & Q draught excluder section where there are a wide variety of self adhesive seals, the ones I've seen are a hollow D section with the straight side being the sticky side.
(20-07-2018, 09:13 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: That's another variation on RN replacement screens, for an immediate fix it may pay to visit B & Q draught excluder section  where there are a wide variety of self adhesive seals, the ones I've seen are a hollow D section with the straight side being  the sticky side.

Thanks Dave,
I've finally managed to login after 5 days of trying. Looking closely at your photo 201745 there appears to be a cut down hardened rubber seal around the edge of the windscreen frame, how is this held in? The original seal was slid in from one end and it is quite a struggle getting it in. Below is a photo of the seal with the windscreen closed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(24-07-2018, 08:59 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: I've finally managed to login after 5 days of trying. Looking closely at your photo 201745 there appears to be a cut down hardened rubber seal around the edge of the windscreen frame, how is this held in? The original seal was slid in from one end and it is quite a struggle getting it in. Below is a photo of the seal with the windscreen closed.

Thanks for that Dave, Gary Edwards thought the same when he came to have a look and suggested that I take the whole screen frame and all out and look closely. He thought perhaps that it was a U section with the rubber behind an insert?  I am a bit reluctant/not competent to go that route at moment, but if that is your view also then I will have a go. The frame seems a little rusty and I don't want to break anything.

I started by removing the two nuts on the inside at the top of the windscreen right hand side. The lower screw came out to the front no problem, the upper nut came off OK but the screw will not come out, it is obstructed by the top hinge. I started cutting out the rubber that was in the 2 mm gap between the inner and outer parts of the surround, but I cannot see how this inner is fixed to the outer and rubber except by the two nut and bolts at the top each side. I have tried gently to work an old chisel underneath the inner section at the top by the bolts but no luck. Any ideas?

Ok that looks like a RM or early RN windscreen frame, I wouldn't try dismantling the frame in situ. You will find that there is a channel in the outside edge for the rubber seal, which is probably full of old hardened rubber, rust and years of crude build up. I would enjoy your car whilst we have this lovely weather which doesn't require a windscreen seal. Then in the winter months remove the whole windscreen from the car, the two bolts at each top corner hold the lower frame to the hinge, remove these and the lower frame and glass can be pulled off the hinge downwards. However it appears that rust, sealant etc may not let this happen. It may pay to stand the windscreen upside down in a length of gutter filled with Bilt Hamber's Deox C, environmentally friendly rust remover, for a few days before attempting to pull it apart.