The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN Windscreen rubber
    I have now pretty much exhausted all spares and suppliers of rubbers and extrusions for my RN windscreen rubber. No one has the profile that I have at present.
I have a July 1932 RN De Lux Saloon with a black steel windscreen surround. This has no groove to set a rubber in. 
The existing rubber seal is glued into the body opening in a "U" shape with no rubber across the top. It becomes distorted at the window closer handle, doesn't look right.        
One school of thought is that this may be a cross over windscreen from a previous model used in the factory??
Another is that it is a replacement screen from a different model?
I have tried to contact Dave Mann, he may be away.
If anyone can help me please.

(19-07-2018, 12:52 PM)Biddlecombe Wrote: I have now pretty much exhausted all spares and suppliers of rubbers and extrusions for my RN windscreen rubber. No one has the profile that I have at present.
I have a July 1932 RN De Lux Saloon with a black steel windscreen surround. This has no groove to set a rubber in. 
The existing rubber seal is glued into the body opening in a "U" shape with no rubber across the top. It becomes distorted at the window closer handle, doesn't look right.
One school of thought is that this may be a cross over windscreen from a previous model used in the factory??
Another is that it is a replacement screen from a different model?
I have tried to contact Dave Mann, he may be away.
If anyone can help me please.

This is the existing profile.     
could the sections suggested to you have been any practical use? The present rubber has clearly been done since the paint-job, so probably/may not be isn't original... assuming in the British climate it might last 35 years or so.
Dave last posted on 14 July, so he was around five days ago. You have tried to contact him via a Private Message, as the forum email system doesn't appear to work. The PM system definitely does as I've both sent and received PM's.
(19-07-2018, 01:08 PM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: Dave last posted on 14 July, so he was around five days ago. You have tried to contact him via a Private Message, as the forum email system doesn't appear to work. The PM system definitely does as I've both sent and received PM's.

Yes. I have P M 'd Dave. Hope he doesn't think that I am bothering him.

(19-07-2018, 01:04 PM)JonE Wrote: could the sections suggested to you have been any practical use? The present rubber has clearly been done since the paint-job, so probably/may not be isn't original... assuming in the British climate it might last 35 years or so.
Jon, Thanks, I have looked at everyone from all suppliers. The only thing that comes near is that I piggy back, self adhesive, a smaller section on top of the larger section. I just hoped that someone might have the answer.
                    I have taken photos of my RN screen (Oct 32) front tank,  and I can't work out how it hangs together.  It looks like the seal is held in place by a 1/2 round chrome rim on the back of the windscreen frame.  There is a soft mastic holding things together, but no screws, so I can't see how the inside frame 'clips' onto the windscreen frame, trapping the seal.  As for seals,  have you tried -
http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk
I have used them for rubber sections for my 2CV - obviously different from a 7 !!

[Image: image.png]
(19-07-2018, 04:09 PM)bob46320 Wrote: I have taken photos of my RN screen (Oct 32) front tank,  and I can't work out how it hangs together.  It looks like the seal is held in place by a 1/2 round chrome rim on the back of the windscreen frame.  There is a soft mastic holding things together, but no screws, so I can't see how the inside frame 'clips' onto the windscreen frame, trapping the seal.  As for seals,  have you tried -
http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk
I have used them for rubber sections for my 2CV - obviously different from a 7 !!

[Image: image.png]

Thanks Bob, I see your screen is chrome. I haven't got a lip to put a seal onto. Seals direct are those that suggested the piggy back that I described. Peter
With many thanks to Gary Edwards who popped in to see how he could help, it seems that the black steel screen surround does come apart and the  rubber as available for such screens should fit to the screen. It will have to be removed and parted. seems like the rubber as fitted with glue in the surround was a bodge job. Now comes the job of removing the screen from the car!!!
Thanks for the interest. Any hints and tips most welcome.
Bob,

That looks very much like the style my chrome RP screen. I's held together by two machine screws on either side of the side frame just below the top hinge.

Seven Workshop supply a moulded windscreen weatherstrip for the RP chrome plated screen 1932 to 1934 - B0987 and a similar moulded weatherstrip for the Box Saloon steel frame screen 1931 to 1933 presumably RN ? - B0402A
If I am interpreting your first photo correctly, your frame is the later of the steel types, fitted just before the chrome-on-brass screen was introduced. I believe there were 3 different profiles of rubber seal on the various steel framed screens, and the one you want slides in the central groove that you can see looking at the frame edge-on. It does not need to be formed around the corners for a good seal like the later brass frames. Jamie at the Seven Workshop lists it as part number B0402A, and I am sure he will send you a small sample on request. No Austin Seven saloon originally had a seal fixed to the body - always a bodge to get around this notoriously leaky area.
(19-07-2018, 07:18 PM)bystander Wrote: If I am interpreting your first photo correctly, your frame is the later of the steel types, fitted just before the chrome-on-brass screen was introduced. I believe there were 3 different profiles of rubber seal on the various steel framed screens, and the one you want slides in the central groove that you can see looking at the frame edge-on. It does not need to be formed around the corners for a good seal like the later brass frames. Jamie at the Seven Workshop lists it as part number B0402A, and I am sure he will send you a small sample on request. No Austin Seven saloon originally had a seal fixed to the body - always a bodge to get around this notoriously leaky area.

Unfortunately this is where I was getting confused because there is no central groove on the edge. It seems that it is 2 pieces of frame one fits inside the outer and fits the rubber between them.