The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch plates
On the late clutches the heat dissipates through the flywheel and cover, rather than the centre plate.
Seven clutches are large dia for the modest torque. Several UK cars of the 1950s with 50-60 bhp and four times Seven torque ran 7 1/4 inch clutches.
Hillman Imp was 5-1/2 inches.
Jim
(17-05-2018, 11:45 PM)squeak Wrote:
(17-05-2018, 07:18 PM)Charles Levien Wrote:
(17-05-2018, 02:22 PM)squeak Wrote: For the early type driven plate I hear people are making them out of saw blades. This does leave the question of centre hub spline replacements.
 While on the subject I am interested in opinions of the relative merits of late clutches with the small lined driven plate versus the earlier type with linings on the flywheel and cover plate.  cheers Russell

One obvious advantage is that you don’t have to remove the flywheel when the linings are on the driven plate.

Charles

I had not thought about that charles. I imagined the smaller diameter may give a less fierce action, but is the grip enough for the trials type engines? are trials people preferencing them?  regards russell

I reckon the earlier system with linings on flywheel and cover plate is preferable if you are going to fit say a 1/2 set of double clutch springs and do the boy racer thing at traffic lights. 
Otherwise the later system is ok but I also have experienced some problem with clutch disengagement on start up which sorts itself out once going. This on a 1937 car with a recently relined plate and plenty of travel on the pedal.

Charles
That is a common symptom of mixing Borg and Beck and Newton Bennett type clutch parts in my experience Charles. Often done as they appear interchangeable and work on the bench.
(18-05-2018, 11:33 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: That is a common symptom of mixing Borg and Beck and Newton Bennett type clutch parts in my experience Charles.  Often done as they appear interchangeable and work on the bench.

Thanks for that Ruairidh — nice to find explanation for things!

Charles
Resurrecting this thread to ask if people can identify the linings I have here. Car is a '34 Type 65 with 4 speed syncro box. Clutch linings are riveted to flywheel and pressure plate. There's  less than 1 mm above the rivets so I intend renewing them whilst I've got everything apart. Are these Borg & Beck or Newton Bennett?

Second question: The plate has rotated axially against it's central boss, which I assume means that it'll be the rivets that have worn as I think they're softer than the plate. "Clutch Boss Rivets" are available from our cherished suppliers at minimal cost, but how do you go about fitting them?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(29-01-2019, 08:27 PM)Colin Wilks Wrote: Resurrecting this thread to ask if people can identify the linings I have here. Car is a '34 Type 65 with 4 speed syncro box. Clutch linings are riveted to flywheel and pressure plate. There's  less than 1 mm above the rivets so I intend renewing them whilst I've got everything apart. Are these Borg & Beck or Newton Bennett?

Second question: The plate has rotated axially against it's central boss, which I assume means that it'll be the rivets that have worn as I think they're softer than the plate. "Clutch Boss Rivets" are available from our cherished suppliers at minimal cost, but how do you go about fitting them?

Neither.They look like the ones sold by Seven Workshop, from the photo I would say they dont warrant replacement, but then They are quite cheap to replace while the engin is out.
Colin - the linings look OK to me, why replace them ?
They have been replaced recently.
I would be looking at the other elements of the clutch as the work done on that unit has been done by people who are not fit to be trusted.
For example strip it all down and check the levers, posts, and backplate slots for wear. If these things are not right you will never have a nice clutch.

The centre driven plate needs looking at can't see it all in the photo, needs close examination !
(30-01-2019, 01:36 AM)Nick Turley Wrote: Colin - the linings look OK to me, why replace them ?
They have been replaced recently.
I would be looking at the other elements of the clutch as the work done on that unit has been done by people who are not fit to be trusted.
For example strip it all down and check the levers, posts, and backplate slots for wear. If these things are not right you will never have a nice clutch.

The centre driven plate needs looking at can't see it all in the photo, needs close examination !

Well that's 2 of us that say the linings are OK!