The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch plates
Is there anybody making , or stocking, new steel clutch plates?
Do I take it that's a big no then?
(17-05-2018, 08:39 AM)bobthompson Wrote: Do I take it that's a big no then?

As far as I know Bob.
What prompted the question? Do you mean the bare disc or the assembly? Despite customary lotsa slipping through the ages and loss of temper and of any set seem to work OK by Seven standard. The plain or later types with linings? The usual problem is the spline part worn and/or loose rivets. I gather some have managed to sort with carbide drills and re rivet. Whether done hot or cold I dunno.
Hi   My 1937 Austin 7  clutch seams to hold on between gears so you can not change straight away. Also if you start the car you have hold your foot on the clutch and rev the motor to free the clutch so you can get it in gear . Does any one know what this could be . Thanks Murray
(17-05-2018, 12:01 PM)muzza Wrote: Hi   My 1937 Austin 7  clutch seams to hold on between gears so you can not change straight away. Also if you start the car you have hold your foot on the clutch and rev the motor to free the clutch so you can get it in gear . Does any one know what this could be . Thanks Murray
Sticky dirt or slight oiliness on the linings and/or dirty/worn splines which stop the plate moving easily along them. At least with a 1937 car you can look easily by removing the gearbox from inside the car.
Robert Leigh
For the early type driven plate I hear people are making them out of saw blades. This does leave the question of centre hub spline replacements.
 While on the subject I am interested in opinions of the relative merits of late clutches with the small lined driven plate versus the earlier type with linings on the flywheel and cover plate.  cheers Russell
(17-05-2018, 02:22 PM)squeak Wrote: For the early type driven plate I hear people are making them out of saw blades. This does leave the question of centre hub spline replacements.
 While on the subject I am interested in opinions of the relative merits of late clutches with the small lined driven plate versus the earlier type with linings on the flywheel and cover plate.  cheers Russell

One obvious advantage is that you don’t have to remove the flywheel when the linings are on the driven plate.

Charles
It's for an early car.
I need to get a replacement plate and thought it might be better to get a brand new one, rather than sifting through loads of old rusty and cracked ones. But if not available new, then that is what I shall do.
Thanks.
(17-05-2018, 07:18 PM)Charles Levien Wrote:
(17-05-2018, 02:22 PM)squeak Wrote: For the early type driven plate I hear people are making them out of saw blades. This does leave the question of centre hub spline replacements.

One obvious advantage is that you don’t have to remove the flywheel when the linings are on the driven plate.

Charles

I had not thought about that charles. I imagined the smaller diameter may give a less fierce action, but is the grip enough for the trials type engines? are trials people preferencing them?  regards russell