The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DK4A electronic distributor
(13-05-2023, 08:24 PM)Graham Barker Wrote: Hi Barry and Tony, what brands are your electronic distributors?  Did the pinion supplied with the new distributor fit properly ?
Regards 
Graham Barker

Both are Lucas units One has a conversion unit from the "Distributor Doctor" the other appears to be identical but from eBay at a lower cost. The magnet that fits over the cam was not a snap-on fit and, in both cases, I recall having to file them to fit. It's possible to engineer this sort of conversion into the very first A7 distributors. Here's the link for this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOQl6e4hQ88 Note his comment on prices from 1:20 onwards and details of fitting the thing. I would not follow his advice about using a drill press. A correction - I'd forgotten about the one on our Ruby, that's an Accuspark unit supplied by Ruaridh and has been faultless. When warm, the engine starts if you merely glance at the starter knob.
I have fitted over 100 of the complete Accuspark units. I also run 6 of my cars on them, very successfully. They improve starting, smooth running and pick up.

They work extremely well provided you follow the steps below.

Ensure that all electrical connections are tight, as any arcing/short will instantly fry the unit.

Ensure that your coil has a minimum of 2.4ohms of protection, any less and it will erode the unit, leading to failure.

As with any distributor, you should always carry a spare (conventional or electronic, your choice) or risk being left stranded (gears can fail too)!
Hi
My distributor is a Powerspark unit purchased via eBay. Not sure how the advance works as I've yet to take it apart.
The only 'problem' I encountered is to set the initial timing as there are no reference points, no pun intended.

A cheap strobe and an intelligent guess got it fairly close and then it was just fine tuning. Haven't touched it since installation and set up.
The strobe shows the advance curve. I locked off the manual advance lever on the steering wheel as it is not needed.

I drive my RN on all sorts of Welsh roads, flat and hilly and have yet to experience any problems.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Do all the electronic versions have bob weights for auto advance or do some use some electjiggerypokery to do that ?
So far as I know, they all rely on mechanical methods.
Thanks 
I will go for the Accuspark 
Thanks
I recommend buying a spare base plate, to carry in the car with you.
I was thinking carrying the old distributor
Why just base plate ?
Because, if the original one fails, you can simply swap it over in a matter of minutes.  You won't upset the timing, the wiring remains the same, it's good practice to carry spares of things like this...

To be clear, I am suggesting you buy a spare electronic base plate, when you purchase your new unit.

Carrying your old conventional distributor is a good idea too.
I see
?