The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
DK4A electronic distributor - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: DK4A electronic distributor (/showthread.php?tid=8590)

Pages: 1 2 3

DK4A electronic distributor - k8207418 - 12-05-2023

There are a few out there 
Anyone any experience of them in terms of reliability and performance 
I’m aware there not everyone’s cup of tea

RE: DK4A electronic distributor - Fencepost - 12-05-2023

I have had one in my car for over a year and have no complaints. Accuspark variety and i changed the coil at the same time.

RE: DK4A electronic distributor - bob46320 - 13-05-2023

How do they get on with "noisy" A7 dynamos ??

RE: DK4A electronic distributor - Barry Townsend - 13-05-2023

I've had one on my '31 RN for three years and it's never missed a beat, also has auto advance. I can hear the purists shrieking in horror !!

RE: DK4A electronic distributor - k8207418 - 13-05-2023

What do you mean ?

What make is it that has auto advance ?

What do you mean ?

RE: DK4A electronic distributor - Tony Griffiths - 13-05-2023

Do you mean what is "auto advance"? Somehow, the unit can change the ignition timing to suit the engine revs (just as the bob weights do in a conventional DK). How it does this I don't know - and I have heard that the advance built into some units is not A7 specific.
I have these units on two of my cars and they perform perfectly. I tried it on another and it would just not run properly - even after changing the coil, distributed top, ignition leads and plugs - so, that one remains on points. Of course, it's wise to carry a complete, conventional distributer with you 'just in case'.

RE: DK4A electronic distributor - Graham Barker - 13-05-2023

Hi Barry and Tony, what brands are your electronic distributors?  Did the pinion supplied with the new distributor fit properly ?
Regards 
Graham Barker

RE: DK4A electronic distributor - AustinWood - 13-05-2023

The Accuspark distributer has springs and bob weights but much better engineered than Lucas.

RE: DK4A electronic distributor - k8207418 - 14-05-2023

Tony
The “what do you mean “ was a response to the noisy dynamo comment
The “what make” comment was asking which manufacturer had electronic auto advance
I tried to reply to each comment separately but failed miserably

Other than Accuspark what others are out there

RE: DK4A electronic distributor - Ian Williams - 14-05-2023

The Accuspark distributors that I have examined and trialled are so well engineered that they have incorporated all the wear that it took the Lucas units a life time of use to exhibit. The only thing that makes them appear to work well is the electronic pick up in place of points, the points are affected by the wear and scatter the timing. You can archive the same, or possibly even better results if your Lucas unit is in good condition by fitting an electronic base plate. And save yourself a bit of cash. The Lucas unit when working correctly also has a better advance curve to the Accuspark version.