The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axle oiling
I have always struggled to renew or top up axle oil.  I use a hand oiler but always have difficulty getting enough oil in.  The handbooks talk about an adapter for the grease gun but do others have a fool proof way of doing this important job?
The problem is that SAE140 oil is very viscous and any method of getting oil into the filler hole is going to be hard work whatever you use. I use a large capacity oilcan that I keep just for this purpose, but it doesn't half take a long time to pump the oil in (quite apart from what it does to arthritic thumbs and wrists). I have a one litre oil syringe, but I have discovered that the nozzle on the end of its flexible pipe is just too big to go into the filler hole.
I managed to find some large plastic syringes that can take 60ml. It works very well (x 4 loads) You can find them on Amazon such as

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HAKACC-Disposab...302&sr=8-6

but Ebay can also provide..
Hello Robin, I guess you've been on this forum long enough to know that there's been extensive discussion of A7 lubrication over the years!
FWIW I've always used a squirt type oil can with a piece of clear plastic tubing as an extension for getting in to difficult to access fillers on other makes. I've also warmed the oil by sitting the filled oilcan in a pail of boiling water before starting the operation to reduce the viscosity of the SAE 140 which will minimise the thumb pressure required to operate the oilcan. I'm not sure whether this would work on an A7, I have a much larger Austin and I can get the job done with a regular oil syringe.
I use a large 100ml plastic syringe with a clear tube extension. I bought it on Amazon from Mr Woo's Chinese emporium for about £2. The secret is to rotate the diff so there's a gap between the crownwheel and the casing so you can get the tube right inside and also to do the filling with the rear axle hanging on the spring for easier access (rear tank RP) and to prevent overfilling. 250ml is enough (1/2 pint)

+1 for pre-warming the oil. It really does help.
Hi

I use an old hand soap dispenser….The ones that have a pump action. Each fill is 250ml and yes it does take a little time.  Handy to keep one full in the car to top up if you have axle leaks  Smile.

Cheers

Howard
Thanks to everyone.  Tips such as oil warming and jacking up axles have been discussed before but the syringe suggestions are new to me.  Quick log in to Amazon;  delivery tomorrow; isn't the internet wonderful!
There used to be a time when the oil was supplied in plastic bottles which had a 4" long tube in the cap for filling axles, I have one and stuff the tube in the hole and squeeze simples.
(25-06-2022, 06:54 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: There used to be a time when the oil was supplied in plastic bottles which had a 4" long tube in the cap for filling axles, I have one and stuff the tube in the hole and squeeze, simples.

Me too, Dave, had one for years. Fill the bottle, squeeze until it starts to dribble out, leave for a while until it stops, re-fit filler plug. Job done.

Steve
As someone who regualrly uses oil that is thicker than 140, the simplest way to get it into any reservoir I have found is to buy a quality oil can, like an Australian CESCO or an old Wesco. All you have to do is remove the restriction in the end of the nozzle and they pump it really easy. Thats all I use for back axles.