The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
is there not a way you can trace the cable coming into the throttle and see if its well clear off its 'stop' when there is a near-shut butterfly? It should be a simple screw to adjust. Or is the tick over happening even with the throttle shut?
Lovely to see your photo of FMV 20 at Luton Nick. I believe this used to belong to the late Ron Garside (who was instrumental in my father buying our Seven). It was looking very rotten last time I saw it for sale so I'm delighted to see it nicely restored.
Hi John,
Thanks for your suggestion.
The screw adjustment was well away from the end of the butterfly lever thing so clearly wasn't affecting anything - hence my initial question as anything obvious didn't seem to be the issue.
That was until I noticed the small bolt which joins the rod from the cross shaft to the carburettor was bottoming out on the 4 branch exhaust manifold was hitting it. Having reversed the position of the bolt, it now clears and all seems well - I think!...

DURRRRRRRRR!
When I went out for a run a week ago the engine suffered from rough running under load after about four or five miles. The petrol was probably a year old, and the distributor points looked past their best so I've drained the tank and filled with fresh fuel, fitted new plugs and points, taken it for a run today... after four or five miles it started misfiring, not like last weekend, but only above about 3000 revs (25mph in second, 40+ in top); it would take full throttle up to these speeds, then the misfire.  Angry

As detailed in the Fuel leak from carb topic, today I finally cured Primrose's embarrassing leakage problem. After a quick change of plugs, we went on the first run this year: a tour of the estate (that's a housing estate, of course, not my own estate!) 

.jpg   2022-06-15-Primrose.jpg (Size: 130.91 KB / Downloads: 523)
Just got back from a very enjoyable PWA7C Cumbria Run that has been blessed with hot sunshine.   The route from Masham to Grange over Sands included the Buttertubs Pass and Kirkstone Pass.                  
Just got the 65 back from Malcolm Parker's excellent Pennine Run, which starts in Masham and goes via a number of clumbs and descents to finish at Grange over Sands in Cumbria.
My brakes were OK until the last day coming home through the Forest of Bowland, when they started to grab and retardatiion going downhill became quite a challenge. Inspected them today and the rear linings were so shiny you could almost see your face in them. I shall be getting them relined with Green Grabber by Saftek in Cleckheaton, but for now I just roughed the surfaces with a coarse file and renewed the ramp at the ends of the linings to take them down to half thickness over the last half inch. A road test shows them behaving much like new linings needing bedding in, but there's no more grabbing or squealing and reasonable and predictable retardation. Posting this as I really wasn't expecting such a dramatic improvement, which means I can schedule the job in later in the year rather than it being a matter of urgency now.
            Well Poppy and I are in Brittany. We have been to the ABVA tour de Bretagne at Carnac, driven back to the house in Treduder . Done a road trip around the Bretagne coast to Morlaix and back. Traveled to Tregoir and we are popping down to Guerec for a meeting in the village tomorrow.
Pastis and an Austin Seven in France, magnifique!

Far too hot down here in Rekkersland for any jolly jaunts.
I saw the thermometer make it to almost 39°C on our terrace this afternoon ( in full shade) and that's the hottest I've witnessed in over 20 years, especially this early in the year. Bonkers hot.
It’s warm here reaching 25 Celsius. Am taking Ricard to Cotswolds next month ( 90 years old this year)