The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trials Tyres
Its The MSUK that set all the rules.
High grip tyres have been banned from car trials since the 1980s or earlier to my knowledge.
Th Dunlop K70 is as close as you can get away with nowadays on our cars.
(29-10-2021, 05:44 AM)dickie65 Wrote: Its The MSUK that set all the rules.
High grip tyres have been banned from car trials since the 1980s or earlier to my knowledge.
Th Dunlop K70 is as close as you can get away with nowadays on our cars.

I see that but my question remains "Why"?
Do they cause damage to the terrain, give an unfair advantage, are they dangerous?
Whilst the potential for excessive damage to the terrain is a significant factor, the aim is to try and 'level the playing field', Duncan. The regs require tyres classified as 'Road Tyres' rather than a free for all with whoever can find the biggest knobblys having the biggest advantage. Of course, within the 'Road Tyre' classification, some tyres have proved to be better than others but that's the same as in any competiton; find and use the best equipment you can that stays within the rules.

Steve
I'd love to have a go in a 7 with those Dunlop Sports fitted.

I reckon you would pretty much never run out of grip, torque and gearing would be what stops you in the end at a guess.
the reason I asked in the first place about the knobblies was as the woodie happens to have 375x19 offroad things on which, along with sod all weight, I thought too would make it unstoppable. But pointless if you can't turn up and use which I can see you can't. Perhaps green lane-ing instead....    
Jon,

Although probably not meeting the regs, the organisers may let you take part on the basis that you would not be eligible for an award. You could still have some fun. Alan
I wouldn't want to stop anyone having a bit of fun on the 'wrong' tyres but equally wouldn't be thrilled if said entrant went 'ploughing' with them just ahead of our own attempt!
ha ha! yes, can see the issues.
Hi Folks,
Austin Sevens are well suited to green laning.
I have even taken the EB65 down a few interesting sections in Cornwall Devon.
I did trial an RP in the 1960s with knobblies on. The problem was not lack of grip, but lack of torque. It was easy to stall the engine if you did not ease the clutch.