The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trials Tyres
We attended the Moorhouse Farm Trial on Sunday and hope to enter the next local, non VSCC event, whenever that may be, using the Biggs Special that we bought of Grahame Fullalove last year. The car currently has 5.00 - 16 Avon Tourists on the rear which provide limited traction on grass/mud. The favoured tyre appears to be the 400 - 18 Cheng Shin C180. This has the same tread pattern as the Dunlop K70 but is cheaper and has more supple sidewalls. The only snag is that they do not appear to be available any more.

So what are you A7 trialers using instead please? Has anyone tried the Kenda K270?

Many thanks. Alan
Hello Alan, 
    I don't think the K270 would be acceptable for trials use. 
  The K265 is a copy of the Cheng Shin type.
From the regs for the aforementioned Moorhouse Trial:

Tyres need to be in accordance with Motorsport UK clause 11.12.6 and furthermore well-base tyres must have a
tread pattern such that the blocks are not more than 10mm deep, nor more than 10mm apart laterally or
circumferentially. There must not be an uninterrupted lateral gap between side blocks. Special grip, knobbly or
hand-cut tread tyres are not allowed. Tyres with bolts or screws penetrating the side walls or beads are illegal and
will not be allowed, neither will operational security bolts.

As Robert says the K270 won't pass these rules.
Northants Tyres has recently been advertising a 'TTClassic Trials Supreme' tyre, which for a while looked promising - but I now see this tread pattern, which, unless someone tells me different, would appear to infringe the 'there must not be an uninterrupted lateral gap between the side blocks' rule. Pity.

.jpg   tyre.jpg (Size: 167.08 KB / Downloads: 487)
400 x 18 Cheng Shin C180 tyres have been the preferred choice for a long time but are now unavailable. Kenda K265 are similar but only seem to be available from a limited number of sources. Both copy the Dunlop K70 tread pattern but are cheaper. A wider range of sizes are still available in 19".

Steve
The trials tyres in the advert are for motorcycles which have different rules for trials.
Robert/Austin,

Thanks for your thoughts. I was aware of the regs but did not know the tread depth etc on the K270’s.
Having researched them further I find that the tread depth is 14mm and suggest that the block spacing is more than 10mm too. You must have had your calibrated eyes on. I agree that they should not be permitted on A7 trials.
I have heard that Cobham is no longer taking place, so given the low number of events in the offing maybe I am overthinking things. I just didn’t fancy scoring 12’s on every hill on my first trial!

Cheers Alan
I had a brief mess with my previous chummy fitted with some 19inch x 90 (mm!) used enduro tyres I bought off Facebook. 

I can see why such tyres are banned. Despite trying my very very best, I only got stuck because I bottomed out the chassis. 

It certainly would go to places where even a Standard Landrover 90 wouldnt go. But perhaps not a 80inch Series 1 (which are the most amazing things if you know how to drive ine properly). It had one benefit of course, in that two of you cant pick up a landrover and move it to get it unstuck.

Put such tyres on something with a solid axle like a Nash a Samson ir a Trojan and thrybwould be unstoppable.
(28-10-2021, 06:16 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: I had a brief mess with my previous chummy fitted with some 19inch x 90 (mm!) used enduro tyres I bought off Facebook. 

I can see why such tyres are banned. Despite trying my very very best, I only got stuck because I bottomed out the chassis. 

It certainly would go to places where even a Standard Landrover 90 wouldnt go. But perhaps not a 80inch Series 1 (which are the most amazing things if you know how to drive ine properly). It had one benefit of course, in that two of you cant pick up a landrover and move it to get it unstuck.

Put such tyres on something with a solid axle like a Nash a Samson ir a Trojan and thrybwould be unstoppable.

How it used to be....

As a "iggorant newbie"could someone explain the reason behind the tyre regs please?