The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Was the Aston once owned by the late John Warburton? It looks familiar to me.
(28-07-2021, 08:52 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: Was the Aston once owned by the late John Warburton? It looks familiar to me.

Yes, and some time earlier by some fellow called Zborowski
I didn't know the Count!
Count Louis Zborowski , a friend of Lionel Martin, raced several early Aston Martin models from 1922 through to 1923. Famed for his creation of " Chitty Bang Bang " an aero engined Mercedes in various iterations, he was killed whilst racing at Monza in 1924.
Thanks for teaching me something Chris - I thought he was killed at La Turbie but in fact that was his father.
His Wiki page is worth a read - did you also know (no doubt!) he's buried at Burton Lazars?
Yes Chris, Burton Lazars is only a couple of miles from me. I remember Bill Boddy ( Motor Sport ) mentioning that he always paid his respects there when in the area. Nowadays around here few residents know of Zborowski.  I've often thought it odd he was buried in the Melton Mowbray area as he only spent a short time in Melton as a youngster. The family had moved there to take advantage of the excellent hunting country - Belvoir, Quorn and Cottesmore - and being social climbers, gave them access to royalty who in the '20s lived for hunting.
" The Racing Zborowskis " was published by the VSCC in 2002. A somewhat turgid and ill laid out tome, it nevertheless details the lives of Elliott & Louis, father and son.
This pic was taken in a London mews. Zborowski on the left in one of the 'Chitty' cars and I think his brother is in the car on the right.

.jpg   ChittyinMews001.jpg (Size: 446.74 KB / Downloads: 321)
That looks to be a very 'modern' car poking its nose out of the garage; had I not known that the photo has to be pre-1924 I would have said it was an early-1930s Alfa Romeo!
(28-07-2021, 10:48 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: Count Louis Zborowski , a friend of Lionel Martin, raced several early Aston Martin models from 1922 through to 1923. Famed for his creation of " Chitty Bang Bang " an aero engined Mercedes in various iterations, he was killed whilst racing at Monza in 1924.

The black car pictured, in its original form was one of the 2 Grand Prix cars of 1922 built for Zborowski. Built to race at the IOM they missed the race, but raced at the French GP at Strasbourg. This one is 'TT2' driven by Clive Gallop at Strasbourg. TT1 is also still about, but in a more 'grand prix' condition.

The car was 'modernised' in the 1930's and lost the twin cam engine in the 40's. 

It was funny at Audlem, some bloke turns up in a giant Bentley, not entered, arrived late so parked in the entrance. You all know the craik, all the numptys drooling at the mouth at what looks to be a 'Birkin Bentley'. Big fat tyres, the stereotypical open body etc etc. 

A quick google reveals its a pukka Bentley, a 6 1/2 litre job, (so very nice indeed) ex Gurney & Nutting Saloon, and by my estimation probably 6 foot or so lopped out of the chassis. So what we had in front of us was, and to quote my mate 'Dave' ''A pretend racing car''. 

Whereas on the field was a real racing car, and not just any racing car, a former grand prix car, once owned by one of the most famous racers of his time. It certainly got some interest, but its significance was lost most.
I only recently discovered that "Chitty chitty bang bang " was Tommy slang in 1914-18 for a permit to visit the knocking shop, a chitty for a bang...
No wonder Ian Fleming had a reputation as a bit of a DOM!