The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Since getting the car back on the road I have done a few short drives and one longer club run. The car was feeling too bouncy at the front so I reduced tyre pressure.  Still not great so I finally found my round tuit and adjusted the front shock absorber.   That made a huge difference.  I had been too light on tightening in the past.  

Here is a short video driving around a dirt track near my house last weekend.
https://youtu.be/yU_acKrjG6o

What I did was not drive an Austin Seven, but be part of the team that organised the Salopian Ascents Tour. Starting from Ludlow, this went up five historic hillclimbs, and ended up at Bridgnorth Station for that perfume delight of hot cylinder oil wafting alongside the Castrol R. Of the strictly limited number of 25 participants, 34 started, including a fair flock of Rileys and a splendidly noisy swarm of three wheel Morgans. Austin Sevens were Nettie and Adrian Bradshaw in their memorable Chummy, and Richard Houlgate, navigated rather than bounced by Jim Wood. Richard was in his trials Seven, wholly untroubled by any of the banks, unlike certain makes of car which politeness prevents me from mentioning. The other Longbridge entrant was Simon Barringer in his Austin Twenty, almost as big as the 19.6 Crossley in which I spent the day. The pictures are taken at the hairpin at Farlow, described in 1920 as "having one hairpin and two bad corners" on a gradient of 1 in 5, those who successfully ascended had their characters fully formed!
I know Simon through the BSA FWD club for s/h spares for my current project. I didn't know he had an Austin too.
Attended to the clutch, starter and radiator on a coil ignition chummy, bit of a learning curve for me used to installing the engine and gearbox into RN saloons.
(13-09-2020, 08:07 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: Attended to the clutch, starter and radiator on a coil ignition chummy, bit of a learning curve for me used to installing the engine and gearbox into RN saloons.
I'm sure, David, that as you've installed more than one or two ship engines, you'll have managed quite well...
Yesterday we took the Chummy to Shuttleworth for a socially-distanced gathering. The hangers were open, the Collection's cars were driving about, and it was glorious weather.

I got to be a big kid and play on a Bofors 40mm AA gun - remarkably easy to elevate and depress the 1+ton barrel. 

The Collection's newly renovated 4-seat Tourer was pottering round. Beautiful job but they stuck the Austin Seven script smack in the middle of the rad grille. I had to put on my anorak and inform them of the error...

Some of the other vehicles -

After much twisting, turning, cussing and cursing, I managed to remved the crankshaft from my three bearing engine.

Jamie.
I'm waiting to hear whether the Sprint Day will go ahead. Had an email which arrived just before the "rule of 6" announcement but I fear the event may breach the regs.....
If it's any consolation Jamie last year I finally succeeded in removing the crank from an engine my father blew up in 1987!!
(14-09-2020, 07:17 AM)Jamie Wrote: After much twisting, turning, cussing and cursing, I managed to remved the crankshaft from my three bearing engine.

Jamie.
I think that the typo "remved" sums up perfectly the problem you had! In future, all difficult removal jobs on an A7 should be referred to by this word.

Lovely pictures; thank for sharing.