The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Austin Main Agents / Dealers
Does anyone know if there exists a list of the Main Agents/Dealers for Austin during the period when the A7 was sold new?  I was trying to track down which Dealers there were in Surrey but realised that I could not find out much info on any other dealer unless you know the name.

I have a copy of an Austin Advocate Magazine which have some UK Dealers in the back and a list of the Dealers abroad. But is there a list in existence of the UK dealer?

Thanks
(29-12-2017, 05:33 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote: Does anyone know if there exists a list of the Main Agents/Dealers for Austin during the period when the A7 was sold new?  I was trying to track down which Dealers there were in Surrey but realised that I could not find out much info on any other dealer unless you know the name.

I have a copy of an Austin Advocate Magazine which have some UK Dealers in the back and a list of the Dealers abroad. But is there a list in existence of the UK dealer?

Thanks

When you say sold new- I think there were regular issues of 'Austin Dealers in the United Kingdom' such as the 1933 Publication 915A which lists 31 pages of dealers.

Cheers, Tony.
My Ruby was originally registered in Surrey in 1936. I extracted all the Surrey Austin dealers from the 1936 (1388) publication in the hope that one day I might be able to identify where mine was supplied from. The number was EPE 778 but there is no record of it except a card held by the Kithead Trust. Anyway, I've pasted the list below:

H. Solomon & Sons                          High Street,                                                        Camberley
Layham’s Engineering                    363-365 Croydon Road,                                                 Caterham
Caterham Motor Co. Ltd               Croydon Road,                                                  Caterham Valley
Paget Automobiles                         Upper Mulgrave Road,                                  Cheam
P.C. & C.K. Chase Ltd                      Portsmouth Road,                                           Cobham
KLM Motors Ltd,                              101 Brighton Road,                                          Coulsden
Milne & Russell Ltd,                        1 Brighton Road,                                               Croydon South
West Croydon Motors Ltd            399 London Road,                                            Croydon West
The Western Garage                      81/3 Station Road,                                           Croydon West
Turner’s Transport Ltd,                  98 Addiscombe Road,                                    Croydon
S. Hulbert & Sons,                            47 Tamworth Rd & 102 Church St,             Croydon West
L.F. Dove Ltd,                                     111-115 Upper Addiscombe Road,           Croydon East
Milton Motors Ltd                           Ansell Road,                                                       Dorking
Page Motors Ltd                               High Street & Waterloo Road,                    Epsom
Denham’s Garage                            High Street,                                                        Esher
Heath Bros                                          Frensham,                                                          Farnham
Swain & Jones                                   38-42 East Street,                                             Farnham
H.A. Jackson,                                     Hurtmore, Borough & Ockford Roads,    Godalming
Holloway’s Garage Ltd                   North Street,                                                     Guildford
Jackson’s Garage (J.E. Jackson),                97-97a High Street,                                          Guildford
The Hindhead Motor Works                                                                                        Hindhead
Lankester Engineering Co Ltd,    39-43 Eden Street,                                           Kingston and Surbiton
H. Taylor & Co Ltd,                           135-137 London Road,                                   Kingston-on-Thames
Spark & Co Ltd,                                                 Raleigh Chambers,                                          Oxted
Carr Bros,                                            112-114 High Street,                                       Purley
John Chalmers & Sons Ltd,           48-52 High Street,                                            Redhill
Reigate Garage Ltd                          23-36 & 45 Bell Street,                                    Reigate
Bates Auto Works Ltd                    Petersham Road                                              Richmond
Holbrook Motor Co Ltd,                Hill Rise & Tower Garage, Kew Foot Rd,                 Richmond
The Clarence Garages Ltd             41 Kew Rd, 20 Parkshot, 13 Kewfoot Rd Richmond
John Wilson (Autos) Ltd                                Sanderstead Road,                                          Sanderstead
Cookes Motors Ltd                          9 & 11 High Street,                                           Sutton
French & Foxwell Ltd                      Burgh Heath,                                                     Tadworth
Moss & Lawson Ltd                         1076 London Road,                                          Thornton Heath
Kirkway Ltd,                                       Stafford Road,                                                   Wallington
Warlingham Auto Service Co       Holmwood Garage,                                         Warlingham
Howard’s Garage,                                                                                                            West Byfleet
Bowman’s Garage                           Baker Street,                                                     Weybridge
Weybridge Automobiles Ltd,      York Road,                                                          Weybridge
A. Boorman & Son Ltd                    27-30 Guildford Road,                                    Woking
Conway West Motors Ltd,           Guildford Road,                                                Woking
Inkerman Motor Co                        Knaphill,                                                               Woking
My great grandfather / grandfather's garage in Woking - A Boorman & Son. Originally carriage builders/repairers in Camberley until moving to Woking in early 1900's.
No records of sales I'm afraid.
(30-12-2017, 12:43 PM)Mick Hanna Wrote: My Ruby was originally registered in Surrey in 1936. I extracted all the Surrey Austin dealers from the 1936 (1388) publication in the hope that one day I might be able to identify where mine was supplied from. The number was EPE 778 but there is no record of it except a card held by the Kithead Trust. Anyway, I've pasted the list below:

H. Solomon & Sons                          High Street,                                                        Camberley
Layham’s Engineering                    363-365 Croydon Road,                                                 Caterham
Caterham Motor Co. Ltd               Croydon Road,                                                  Caterham Valley
Paget Automobiles                         Upper Mulgrave Road,                                  Cheam
P.C. & C.K. Chase Ltd                      Portsmouth Road,                                           Cobham
KLM Motors Ltd,                              101 Brighton Road,                                          Coulsden
Milne & Russell Ltd,                        1 Brighton Road,                                               Croydon South
West Croydon Motors Ltd            399 London Road,                                            Croydon West
The Western Garage                      81/3 Station Road,                                           Croydon West
Turner’s Transport Ltd,                  98 Addiscombe Road,                                    Croydon
S. Hulbert & Sons,                            47 Tamworth Rd & 102 Church St,             Croydon West
L.F. Dove Ltd,                                     111-115 Upper Addiscombe Road,           Croydon East
Milton Motors Ltd                           Ansell Road,                                                       Dorking
Page Motors Ltd                               High Street & Waterloo Road,                    Epsom
Denham’s Garage                            High Street,                                                        Esher
Heath Bros                                          Frensham,                                                          Farnham
Swain & Jones                                   38-42 East Street,                                             Farnham
H.A. Jackson,                                     Hurtmore, Borough & Ockford Roads,    Godalming
Holloway’s Garage Ltd                   North Street,                                                     Guildford
Jackson’s Garage (J.E. Jackson),                97-97a High Street,                                          Guildford
The Hindhead Motor Works                                                                                        Hindhead
Lankester Engineering Co Ltd,    39-43 Eden Street,                                           Kingston and Surbiton
H. Taylor & Co Ltd,                           135-137 London Road,                                   Kingston-on-Thames
Spark & Co Ltd,                                                 Raleigh Chambers,                                          Oxted
Carr Bros,                                            112-114 High Street,                                       Purley
John Chalmers & Sons Ltd,           48-52 High Street,                                            Redhill
Reigate Garage Ltd                          23-36 & 45 Bell Street,                                    Reigate
Bates Auto Works Ltd                    Petersham Road                                              Richmond
Holbrook Motor Co Ltd,                Hill Rise & Tower Garage, Kew Foot Rd,                 Richmond
The Clarence Garages Ltd             41 Kew Rd, 20 Parkshot, 13 Kewfoot Rd Richmond
John Wilson (Autos) Ltd                                Sanderstead Road,                                          Sanderstead
Cookes Motors Ltd                          9 & 11 High Street,                                           Sutton
French & Foxwell Ltd                      Burgh Heath,                                                     Tadworth
Moss & Lawson Ltd                         1076 London Road,                                          Thornton Heath
Kirkway Ltd,                                       Stafford Road,                                                   Wallington
Warlingham Auto Service Co       Holmwood Garage,                                         Warlingham
Howard’s Garage,                                                                                                            West Byfleet
Bowman’s Garage                           Baker Street,                                                     Weybridge
Weybridge Automobiles Ltd,      York Road,                                                          Weybridge
A. Boorman & Son Ltd                    27-30 Guildford Road,                                    Woking
Conway West Motors Ltd,           Guildford Road,                                                Woking
Inkerman Motor Co                        Knaphill,                                                               Woking
Hi Mick thanks for posting I did not release there where so may.  Chris Garner pointed me in the direction of this booklet.  Best get digging for more info, somehow.  Regards Douglas
Hi All

Further to above Chris Garner kindly lent me a copy of Austin Publication 1388 Austin Dealers 1936.  As others have pointed out the book is alphabetical by town/city so is a bit of a pain trying to find all Dealers in one county.  So I have currently set my self the task of extracting the information so that it can be searched electronically and sorted in to registration Issuing Authority.

At bit of a task but nearly completed extracting the information then just need to work out were all these towns are.  The next plan is to over time research the Dealers and add in some information on the Dealer, I have already started this part and have quite a bit of info on a number of the Dealers.  I would also like to add to this images of the Dealers Badge have one at the moment for "Carrs".

Once completed I'll post a link so all can access, and probably tell me were I have gone wrong so it can be updated.

Hopefully Austin owners will be happy to share information and I'll collate.

Publication 1338 contains over 1000 Dealers, I am at the moment not convinced they all are Dealers and some just serviced but happy to be corrected.

So please can you pass me any information you have on Dealers and any evidence of a specific Dealer selling Austin Cars and not just servicing, or wait until the first draft is done, should be in a couple of weeks, and then see if you can fill in any gaps.

Thanks

Douglas
The First Draft of Austin Dealers and Service Agents is completed a copy can be found at the link below, still more work to do but does now provide a useful document I think to find possible dealers who sold your car.

I have some dealers badges images but looking for more if you can share an image that would be good.

http://www.da7c.co.uk/History%20Section/...20list.pdf

Any comments welcome

Thanks

Douglas
All EPE prefixes were registered in Surrey between August and October 1936.

Amazing that NickB has the Austin garage connection! No old body tags in the drawers anywhere?
(07-02-2018, 07:35 PM)JonE Wrote: All EPE prefixes were registered in Surrey between August and October 1936.

Amazing that NickB has the Austin garage connection! No old body tags in the drawers anywhere?

Afraid not Jon. Only memorabilia I have is my grandfathers 1955 Austin golden jubilee medal and an Austin paper knife.

I know A (Alfred)Boorman was a coachbuilder I think with a brother in Camberley before they split and Alfred moved to Woking before starting a new business around 1900 selling and repairing cars and carriages. Moved on to solely car repairs/sales and petrol sale. I know that additional to Austin the garage also sold Wolesley, and a couple of other makes. Garage passed to his son Kenneth and ended up as a Chrysler dealer before the business closed in the early 60's.

Remember getting petrol there and walking through the workshops as a kid.
Great work Doug ,I dont know how you can find time to do it and edit the DA7C magazine . One small typo ,Berts Garage would have been Kingswood , Bristol , and in the Dorset section, Tilleys had a dealership in Weymouth also and there telegram address is Motors ,Weymouth . I think Lawrence Riddles RP has a Tilleys suppliers plaque attached .Edit to add: My grandfather was the Managing Director of The Automobile Company of 5-12 Queens Road , Bombay who you have listed