The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Had a phone call from a friend who is new to Austin 7's. His RP had stripped the teeth off its Bosch distributor and he was stuck a few miles away. I had a quick run out in the Nippy with a "new" Lucas one which I had lurking in a box in the garage. Once I had showed him how to time it up on number 1 and fitted it the car sprang into life.
This caused quite a stir with a few locals who had gathered to watch and who commented they quite fancied an Austin 7 as they are so easy to work with and wondered what availability of cars and spares was like. Maybe some new members soon?
Once we got going, I followed Ade back home about 15 miles at 50+ MPH who mentioned it had never gone so well since he bought it so it looks like he'll stick with the Lucas now.
Best wishes,
Nick
Hi All

Might seem a bit tame but I've been doing some shake down trials in the RK after finishing the back axle (the final?  no next to final?  well its nearly finished!)

So a quick trip down to get the paper.

Cheers

Howard

PS End result is a strip down of the torque tube bracket (It sounded like a teenager was using a full drum kit under the car)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's a very pretty little RK Howard, please do post some more pictures

Aye
Greig
        Hi Greig

Thanks for the kind words.

Doesn't take much to make me show off!

Cheers

Howard
Well. Today no Austin 7 mending. I have been mending the Turbo off the Mondeo on the kitchen work surface with a soldering iron. Lets hope it works!

[Image: 008_1758.jpg]
Last week collected the re-cored rad from Hereford radiators, so took the Ruby out for a test run. After going up a steep hill, I though I could detect a little steam, so I stopped to check. However, it happily just turned out to be Duchess of Sutherland en route from Taunton to Shrewsbury going up the bank in fine style. I hasten to add that this trackside photo is from an Austinist who works on PWay, based at Hereford. Should I offer to volunteer to post info for steam workings up and down the Marches main line for the benefit of Seven owners who need to test their cars by driving near to railways?

.jpg   Duchess.jpg (Size: 170.34 KB / Downloads: 348)
Another day slowly fitting indicators to my Ulster Rep. In the old days I’d have done it in a day...nowadays I keep getting diverted!

I was going to keep it original and just use hand signals but with the standard of driving round here being what it is, most people would just assume I’m waving at them ?
Today, I have had one of those "Oh I wish I hadn't done that" moments. In endeavouring to minimise a slight oil leak from the nearside block/crankcase joint I decided rather than just leaving well alone, to give the block holding down nuts a little tweak. The rear one in the valve chest promptly sheared off flush with the inside of the valve chest.

(please feel free to insert here any appropriate profanations...)

So that's me b*ggered for a while.

Having got over my anger at what I'd done and considered options, I have decided to first of all try to replace the broken stud and see how things go. This will mean an engine/gearbox out job and I'll then tackle the problem with the unit on the bench. I prefer to do it that way rather than stooping over the car. Needless to say the RP will be out of action for a while until I have rectified the problem, but there's no real rush. I'm busy with other things anyway at the moment.
You have my deepest sympathy. I've done things like that too.
That’s bad luck! Seems a little odd to me that you can snap the stud by tightening. I’d kind of expect the thread to pull out of the crankcase, or the nut to strip. I’d change all the studs while I was at it. If one was cracked, the others might not be far behind.
Alan Fairless