The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
There are two types of crankcase hole, for the rubber mounted ones.

Only the larger sized rubber is made, these days, so you can either open the hole up to suit or leave it out.
Some of the earlier rubber mounted crankcases have a smaller diameter for the mounting bolt/rubber to pass through - you'll have to improvise. The new rubbers you show in the photo are for the later crankcase. I don't know when the size changed, but mine at #M238100 has the larger holes. (1935 I think). I have a 1933 crankcase with the same size holes as yours.

The early holes are 0.525" diameter. If you can source a length of rubber/poly tube 13mm dia with 1.5mm wall thickness it should do the trick.

This is what you need:

[Image: 20231229-161417.jpg]
(29-12-2023, 04:06 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: There are two types of crankcase hole, for the rubber mounted ones.

Only the larger sized rubber is made, these days, so you can either open the hole up to suit or leave it out.

(29-12-2023, 04:17 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Some of the earlier rubber mounted crankcases have a smaller diameter for the mounting bolt/rubber to pass through - you'll have to improvise. The new rubbers you show in the photo are for the later crankcase. I don't know when the size changed, but mine at #M238100 has the larger holes. (1935 I think). I have a 1933 crankcase with the same size holes as yours...

Thank you both... I'll have a look and see what I can find.
Hello everyone,
I've had a good romp down to the excellent PWA7C trial in the Nippy today - only about 30 miles each way but a good way to blow a few cobwebs away before catching up with a number of old (as in long standing!) friends.
The event was superbly organised; the various cars and drivers all went went well and the site is excellent with a decent cafe etc too. Even the weather was kind after the horrendous few weeks we've had until it threw it down for the last 10 miles home. Thankfully, increased MPH meant I didn't get too wet!
Best wishes to everyone for a safe, peaceful and fun-filled 2024,
Nick
Some fun on the Strathspey back roads today.                
Rhuairidh, at least you were safely high above water. Last week’s flood photos seemed to indicate that Bowling station had ceased to be on a railway but had somehow joined the Forth & Clyde Canal.
We’ll, it looks like Ruairidh has all the good weather, Rosie and I trundled along to the Brackley Classics Day…a few very unusual cars amidst the cold and the damp…

Sorry no photos today but had a run out in the RP. Nice and sunny down here. Roads dry and the air very clear. From a vantage point between Portes and Peyremale I could see all the way over to the Rhône valley and beyond. I could see Mont Ventoux and the snow capped peaks of the Alps beyond it. I reckon Mont Ventoux is about 100km as a French Corbeau flies from where I was, (as long as it hadn't been on the Pastis).

Happy Hogmanay everyone. Don't drink and drive - here's a salutary warning to all:

Be careful about drink driving as we are getting close to the New Year and Police are out there checking on people. Last night I was out for a few drinks. One thing led to another and I had a few too many cocktails and then went onto the wine. Not a good idea. Knowing I was over the limit, I decided to leave my car at the pub and took a bus home. Sure enough, I passed a police checkpoint, where they were pulling over drivers and performing breathalyser tests. Because I was in a bus they just waved it past. I arrived home safely and without incident, which was a real surprise as I've never driven a double decker before and I am not even sure where I got it from.

Smile
Done... Back home from England!

From left to right: Excelsior, Dunlop, Avon, Longstone... Big Grin

Attached Files
.jpeg   IMG_2548.jpeg (Size: 167.21 KB / Downloads: 197)
.jpeg   IMG_2553.jpeg (Size: 124.68 KB / Downloads: 197)
Today I installed my Hadley Crank into my sand cast Nippy crankcase only to find that it is sitting too far forwards.
It is because I am using non standard front bearings which do not have an offset between the inner and outer race like the Angular contact bearings which have about 30 Thou offset.
I have taken it all apart again !!
I have taken 10 Thou from the front lip with a flycutter to clean it up a bit. ( As its a sand cast case the front lip is very thick )
I have just ordered a few shims to move the crank back, they will go between the front bearing and the crank shoulder.
So its back to cleaning everthing up again and putting it all back together once the shims arrive.