The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(28-11-2023, 05:21 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Jeff

https://www.fsw.uk.com/category/flametec...razing-kit

One of these!

I started with a smaller set that used disposable oxygen bottles but it was costing a fortune in oxygen.  

Cheers

Howard

That looks interesting, though after about 30 years with oxy-acetylene and then 20 years without,  I don't really miss it now. 

Why do they sell it for brazing? Will it weld thin sheet?
Most refrigeration service/repair engineers seem to use silver solder and/or brass for repairs and replacement of their fine tubing. In many cases brazing can be stronger than welding as it is done at a lower temperature than welding and does not affect the strength of steel components which can degrade at higher temperatures.
I'm not sure if this sort of kit will get up to welding temperature, I think you can only achieve steel welding temperature with acetylene?
(28-11-2023, 06:45 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote:
(28-11-2023, 05:21 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Jeff

https://www.fsw.uk.com/category/flametec...razing-kit

One of these!

I started with a smaller set that used disposable oxygen bottles but it was costing a fortune in oxygen.  

Cheers

Howard

That looks interesting, though after about 30 years with oxy-acetylene and then 20 years without,  I don't really miss it now. 

Why do they sell it for brazing? Will it weld thin sheet?
Hi Andrew

I’ve managed test welds on 1mm steel sheet but my skill level is not high enough to produce decent welds.  For anything structural I use stick or MIG welding. I’ve used the oxy Mapp to braze aluminium with special rods.

Cheers

Howard
(28-11-2023, 07:17 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Most refrigeration service/repair engineers seem to use silver solder and/or brass for repairs and replacement of their fine tubing. In many cases brazing can be stronger than welding as it is done at a lower temperature than welding and does not affect the strength of steel components which can degrade at higher temperatures.
I'm not sure if this sort of kit will get up to welding temperature, I think you can only achieve steel welding temperature with acetylene?

It uses mapp gas, but what is that? It says it gives similar performance to acetylene.

I've nothing against brazing, Duncan, but always found welding was easier. And you can't butt braze thin steel sheet.

Googleing I find several mentions of welding with mapp.
You'll find the full description of mapp in this article. https://www.twi-global.com/technical-kno...0acetylene.

Oxy Propane, Oxy MAPP, and Oxy Propylene are all significantly cooler than Oxy Acetylene. More importantly they don't act as a shielding gas and will never make a clean weld, even in thin material.
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
Found this old chap and gave him a lift

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What I did today was to take the Ruby to a foreign country, to see its French cousins. Then very close to home I was run into by a xxx xxxing xxx. At least he did get out of his car and apologise and hand over details, rather than just rushing off into the distance
[attachment=23477]

[attachment=23478]

What I did today was to take the Ruby to a foreign country, to see its French cousins. Then very close to home I was run into by a xxx xxxing xxx. At least he did get out of his car and apologise and hand over details, rather than just rushing off into the distance
Although your attachments don’t appear to have worked, presumably they show the damage. Deep commiserations.
So sorry to hear of your coming together, Steve. I can't see the pictures, but I'm hoping they are showing minor damage.

I did about 75 miles in the special, last night. Took it to see the lights at Blenheim Palace. The lights were great, but the ride there and back were better. Everyone managed to miss me.