The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Yes Steve, the tool you need is the one with the wooden handle!
Steve, I recall that a fix for a leaky needle valve was to lap the needle to its seat using metal polish. I understand that new valves are still available from Burlen Fuel Systems at Salisbury.
Yes but consult your financial adviser before looking at the page of their catalogue...
Not having the tools illustrated above, I took down from the shelf a box labelled “Zenith bits.” This contained a new needle valve, and unused washers. Put on the new valve with a thicker washer, watched with satisfaction for a good two minutes until the flooding onto the top of the carb resumed. So the next suggestion?
A leaky float?
I am not a hydraulic engineer, which is probably just as well. Having put on the thickest gasket, I thuoght that I would try the thinnest. And yes, that has stopped the cascade of petrol onto the exhaust pipe. Obviously I had misinterpreted the relationship between top of float and button on the valve. Is this what the modern chaps do when their in car screen flashes and says computer failure? They go to the workshop, get down a box labelled “chips” and swap stuff till it works? Why a washer would work perfectly for many miles and then go wrong is a puzzle, perhaps attention seeking behaviour. Many thanks to all.
Well, the last 7 days. Based at Presteigne, we've toured the various border towns and villages. Kington, Presteigne, Montgomery, Ludlow, Leominster, Pembridge, Knighton etc. Our two Sevens have never missed a beat each doing over 200 miles in the week even though we do push them rather. Perfect weather on roads that were quiet compared with how it is at home. The Highway Authorities in Shropshire and Herefordshire could do to spend a bob or two on their roads though. Steering to try to avoid the multitude of pot holes became an art form. In contrast, the Welsh roads were not too bad at all.

Steve
This morning we went to the breakfast meeting at the Wheatsheaf, Bough Beech.....

Time to test the little machine, so very roundabout route to shops and similar run home. Sounding rather good so perhaps the process of checking every joint, washer  and flange to ensure tightness may have helped. And then spot this machine, whose owner was very happy to talk about it and very interested in the Ruby. It is badged as a Citroen Ami, and is a French microcar. The weight and alleged power of these means they requires no licence in France, making them the ideal machine for sixteen year olds, or more senior users who are temporarily without their licence. It should do one one charge what we can theoretically manage on one gallon of petrol, 45 miles. Max speed should  be the same, his acceleration rather brisker. The delightful young chap had never heard of Mochet, but then I had not heard of and have already forgotten the name of the other seventies microcar he had in a nearby shed, but the ice cream and milk needed to get home so I hope to see it another time.
(21-05-2023, 07:05 AM)Steve kay Wrote: No wonder I've got Zenith needle valve problems, I'm using the wrong tools!

I should try and find another dentist ………………