The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Great to see everyone out and about!

The local church goers around here know that the bells are going to be rung as they see my box saloon parked outside the church....which reminds me, after Brackley at 9am this morning, I’d better get ready for the second lot of Easter ringing here in Evenley today at noon...wind that crank handle, pull that rope!
I have only just removed an original Ricardo head from the Ulster, because it was leaking on all four plugs! This gave incredibly lean running, which took ages to solve.

I have fitted a steel head which has immediately cured the issue and will ponder on a suitable repair that will ensure leak free running. The other original I have gave superb performance on the Chummy until it started to crumble…
Been down to town to feed the Seven and then up to feed the horse. Town was heaving this morning, it being Easter weekend. I had to queue at the petrol station whilst a swarm of motorcycles, mostly ridden by balding middle-aged men, filled up and then had to go round twice to find somewhere to park. The B4391 Llangynog road was like a motorway, there was so much traffic. I must admit it is fun making Porsches and big BMWs crawl along behind me at 15 mph as I climb Bwlch yr Eira in second.

Amid all this traffic I saw only one classic car; a 1972 Triumph TR6 going like the wind who overtook me and gave me a merry wave as he went past.

We hvae visitors this afternoon, so I expect that Sevening will be done for the day.
(09-04-2023, 11:17 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: Belated Happy Returns on your big birthday, Ruairidh, I wouldn't mind being your age again.

On Friday I took the Pytchley out on my quite arduous test circuit up and down the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors.   Whilst it was running well, when I opened it up on the old drove road along the top of Sutton Bank, pictured, it was reluctant to pull much over a true 45mph in top, surprising given its light weight and 5.25 rear axle. 
I suspected that the cylinder head was holding it back.   It was fitted with a bronze 9E1 head that although it has been skimmed, does not appear to have a particularly good compression ratio.   I decided to change the head for a late Ruby type.  Having got the bronze head off I compared it with the Ruby head and it seemed clear that the bronze head had a much deeper combustion chamber.   The depth at the valves was 12mm with the bronze head compared to 9mm for the Ruby one.    I then looked at a new aluminium Ricardo head that I had in stock and this looked to have a better compression ratio than the Ruby head.    I am running my RL saloon on a Ricardo head and am very pleased with the performance.
The new Ricardo head was duly fitted to the Pytchley with a new 'early' gasket and the car was taken up the road on my 'test' hill, a steady climb of 951 yards with a couple of easy bends.   With the Ricardo head the Pytchley made the climb in 68 seconds on the first run, a full 4 seconds faster than the best I had been able to achieve previously.  The speed up the hill was altogether faster, cresting the summit at 38 mph whereas the best was 30 mph previously. 
Suffice to say I am a happy Easter Bunny!

Malcolm

Is there a science to the apparently different plug on no 4 or were just low on 18mm plugs?

Charles

Ps. That bronze head looks ideal for a blown car
(09-04-2023, 01:00 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(09-04-2023, 11:17 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: Belated Happy Returns on your big birthday, Ruairidh, I wouldn't mind being your age again.

On Friday I took the Pytchley out on my quite arduous test circuit up and down the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors.   Whilst it was running well, when I opened it up on the old drove road along the top of Sutton Bank, pictured, it was reluctant to pull much over a true 45mph in top, surprising given its light weight and 5.25 rear axle. 
I suspected that the cylinder head was holding it back.   It was fitted with a bronze 9E1 head that although it has been skimmed, does not appear to have a particularly good compression ratio.   I decided to change the head for a late Ruby type.  Having got the bronze head off I compared it with the Ruby head and it seemed clear that the bronze head had a much deeper combustion chamber.   The depth at the valves was 12mm with the bronze head compared to 9mm for the Ruby one.    I then looked at a new aluminium Ricardo head that I had in stock and this looked to have a better compression ratio than the Ruby head.    I am running my RL saloon on a Ricardo head and am very pleased with the performance.
The new Ricardo head was duly fitted to the Pytchley with a new 'early' gasket and the car was taken up the road on my 'test' hill, a steady climb of 951 yards with a couple of easy bends.   With the Ricardo head the Pytchley made the climb in 68 seconds on the first run, a full 4 seconds faster than the best I had been able to achieve previously.  The speed up the hill was altogether faster, cresting the summit at 38 mph whereas the best was 30 mph previously. 
Suffice to say I am a happy Easter Bunny!

Malcolm

Is there a science to the apparently different plug on no 4 or were just low on 18mm plugs?

Charles

Ps. That bronze head looks ideal for a blown car
The plugs came out of the bronze head.  The smaller plug was in number one pot previously.   One day I will take all the plugs out of my cars and sort out some matching sets.   You will note that I prefer to use old plugs.
My 1938 tourer was driven by Alan Titchmarsh on his program this morning

The video is
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
First trip in the Pearl this year and went to Mersea Island beer festival - only had a half but have some takeaways for home consumption. Started Pearl up on Good Friday after checking points, plugs and jets but low on fuel. Got some fuel for Pearl while in modern.Went to start this morning - no go - blocked jets,cleaned them. Did four mile trip round the "block" and set off for Mersea Island 10 miles away,going lovely and the suddenly stopped after six miles up a hill and on a bend. Helpful motorists helped me push her a safe place. Immediately thought fuel and blocked jets,all clear,removed a spark plug - no spark. Lifted other side of bonnet and distributor cap was resting on the oil filler tube.Replaced and on our way,no other incidents getting home before the Strood was covered at very high tide. Note to self- make sure the distributor clips are secure.
Having spent the day diagnosing a blocked jet and failed coil yesterday, this morning I joined the Inverness "Cars & Coffee" meeting. The Ruby was the oldest car there by a good few years but there was plenty to hold my interest for a couple of hours.

Oh, how I miss my DS21!
When I fitted a new engine to the Ulster a few weeks back I took the opportunity to change out the very worn gearbox.

The new gearbox turned out to have a major oil leak, so I took it all back out again this afternoon and fitted another.  The replacement is holding oil and also is even quieter, well worth the extra effort!

The girls split logs whilst I got on with the car stuff!