The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Thanks, Mike. Yes, I'm delighted with it. Back to as it was - and all I need to do now is brave the -4C temps and get on with it! P.S. That's Mike's van at the bottom of Litton Slack.
Started exhuming an old “spare “ rear axle. And not my hand with a hammer a lot!! Actually the axle seems pretty good. Will be ordering a load of bits from the seven work shop soon I feel.
Tony, PL is looking much better now and the colour is spot on. Don't forget to fit the shot-blasted brake drums for the driving tests!
I just bought a little Drummond round bed from a mate. It seemed like a bargain for the few small jobs I have in mind for my sevens, I'm sure it will will be fine. Unfortunately there are very few change wheels with it... I don't suppose anyone can assist..?
Thanks, David. Surprisingly, the brakes were pretty good when I took it off the road. But, upon inspection, the rear linings were breaking up and in poor order. Doubtless, when all are renewed and bedded in they'll prove to be useless. Those 'bead-blasted brakes' lasted an amazing time - and I'll never forget the way the marshals leapt backwards as PL approached the stop line with the fronts locking and unlocking with cadence braking.
[hr

The changewheels are the same on all 1902 to 1950 3.5-inch flat-bed Drummond and Myford/Drummond lathes and they often pop up on eBay. All are 14 d.p. with a 14.5 degree pressure angle. It might be that on one of the model engineering forums, somebody had 3D printed some...
(18-01-2023, 10:29 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: I just bought a little Drummond round bed from a mate. It seemed like a bargain for the few small jobs I have in mind for my sevens, I'm sure it will will be fine. Unfortunately there are very few change wheels with it... I don't suppose anyone can assist..?
I've been looking for a head gasket, today. I came across this one, unused. 

At least there should be some guarantee it will fit...

That’s a first for me, never seen a factory branded one before....it would be a shame to use it!
If you are not going to use it, what is the point of its existence? Swap it for a replacement and put it in a museum?
Take a picture and fit it next time you rebuild an engine, taking a further pic of it in place.
Nostalgia doesn't work very well as a sealant...
How does it compare to modern equivalents……?
It will be an original copper/asbestos sandwich which will be more efficient than those made of modern 'safer' materials.