The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I attended the High Ercall Pride and Joy event again last night, not in a Seven as is normal, but I took a steamer. 

Thankfully the end was kept up by a splendid RN

There were a smattering of other pre was cars including a Vauxhall 23/60 and a rather nice and original (if a little rotten) late 30's Austin 18 York. 

I was pleased to have taken the oldest vehicle again, the Vauxhall would have trumped my chummy had I gone in that. 

My seven involvement involved parking the roller under mine, so the heat from the chimney of the tractor didn't set it on fire

Today, I've replaced this......

.jpg   U-bolt.jpg (Size: 46.67 KB / Downloads: 597)

It went 'bang' on one of the Centenary event's scenic runs, on a very uneven twisty bit of road. The corners of the U-bolt look like they've been cracked for some time, so I guess this was a failure waiting to happen. I suspect this one was original to the car, so maybe I shouldn't grumble at 93 years of service?!
I found both on my special broken. New in the 1980s look like cold bent with a big hammer over a sharp edge. From the ends it looks like they were cracked a while before they parted. I only noticed the broken legs when i saw a light from underneath through the holes they left.         

The complete one is a replacement
Spurred on by the sight of the competition cars at Prescott during the Centenary Rally, I have been putting in some work on the hillclimb car project and all being well it will be driveable some time next week.   I have finally sorted out the throttle pedal arrangement, this being clamped to the steering column tube.  The throttle cable is homemade using bicycle brake cable.  For the ends I have used electrical connectors which are crimped onto the cable.  5mm stainless steel set srews and nylocs fasten the cable onto the pedal and carb.  I am awaiting a box of assorted springs off Ebay to complete the set-up.
Today I gave the body a rub over with nylon scourers and white spirit.   It will of course have a streamlined tail which will be detachable.             
A 22-mile round trip this morning for the monthly bacon rolls and coffee meeting at Bill Rawles Classic Cars. One stop on the way to wire up a sagging exhaust. On arrival a loose spark plug lead, and two "failed to proceed"s on the return journey: oiled plugs and carburettor float bowl came loose! All in all a good trip, my longest excursion so far!

With others, Saturday and Sunday competing at VSCC Prescott. 19 Sevens in Class 1 alone with many others in the various classes. Lots of personal best times and a fair few broken handicaps. Great competition in super weather but a highlight for me was meeting Roger French and his Wife, over from the USA. As he said, we know each other but we've never met.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Miss Jones and I have been galavanting around South Shropshire and Montgomeryshire today. 

It was very hot, and despite about 5 mins hard pull in bottom gear to climb up to Mitchel's Fold stone circle from Churchstoke the poor chummy didnt get hot. Didn't miss a beat all day in fact. 

.jpg   FB_IMG_1659980731417.jpg (Size: 86.37 KB / Downloads: 275)

.jpg   FB_IMG_1659980716713.jpg (Size: 89.65 KB / Downloads: 276)
Great shots and a beautiful day, do you have the widescreens up so the wind doesn’t ruffle up your hair Hedd?
I find it so much nicer to drive distance like that, the girls certainly for the reason you mention. Though Nerys does say its still like riding in a tornado in the back at 45 which seems to be happy cruising speed. 

The other thing that makes it work, is this car essentially has 80% of the original trim, (all the body side trim is original) so all the clamps etc are there, so they are very well secured, not just poked down into some holes like they were in the AE I had. They dont move, dont come loose etc.

I also like the look.
80% of the original trim...excellent!