The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Steve J thanks for turning the photo. Steve K I bought a tea strainer from Wilko years ago just the right dome shape and size. I haven’t got round to fitting it yet.
Dave.
I’m not familiar with Ruby tyre, Steve, but if anyone can tell me what the front and rear axle weights are I can work out what the theoretical pressures should be.
Alan Fairless
Alan, I am putting a set of Longstones on the RL for the Centenary week.  I know they recommend 30psi all round but I think that is a bit high.   What would you recommend?   Same question to Steve J!

I have never bothered with mesh screens on the SU carb.  Unlike Steve I have never had a 1" diameter stone insert itself in the carb inlet!
For the road, 24psi all round on my 3.50 x 19 Longstones. At 30psi they start to be affected by imperfections on the road surface.

We did only have a large stone in the carb once, Malc, and we were using the car in quite extreme conditions to say the least!!

Steve
I’m not using longstones on my RL but the minimum pressure for the axle loading on 3.50x19 is 22psi. You can use more than this, and the max pressure is probably marked on the sidewall. 30 sounds high but I’d start at 22 and work upwards until you find a handling characteristic you like. Mines on Blockleys and I use 24.
Alan Fairless
My box saloon is on Blockleys and feels about right at 25 psi.
I've just been out in my SWB Saloon to get some pre-Moreton petrol and, at 24psi, it handles just right be that crusing along at 50 or slow speed maneuvering between the pumps and the displays of flowers, charcoal, newspapers etc. £38.47 might take some getting over though Sad

Steve
Malcolm said
I have never bothered with mesh screens on the SU carb. Unlike Steve I have never had a 1" diameter stone insert itself in the carb inlet!

It's not the 1" one you need to worry about!

PS I like the Wilco tea-strainer idea though I thought I was the last remaining loose-leaf tea drinker in the world.
Malcolm, I'm running Longstones on my RM and found the recommended 30psi far too high - the car was almost uncontrollable on uneven surfaces. 24-25psi seems to be a happy compromise.
I found at 25 psi the car was not so controllable and phoned Longstones who recommended 30 psi which was worse. Another phone call when I explained about directional instability brought the comment that he wasn't surprised at 30 psi it would be all over the road try 20 psi. That was much better but more like steering a boat.